1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wemG2821l-o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDnAQCbp9Y

I'm really getting into T-Bone Walkers slow blues style.
The problem is that I'm not all that familliar with how he did what he did.
Any insight on his riffs, licks, song structure, or the therory behind T-Bone's slow blues style would be greatly appreciated.
I would really dig any accompanying sound bytes or Mp3s to help any explinations.

I have some quotes from a magazine - if anyone could help explain what they're talking about - I have NO idea of Therory
so please talk to me like I'm a child regarding that.

"T-Bone featured the 9th scale degree prominently in his single-line solos. When you hear such players as Otis Rush,
Buddy Guy, or Mike Bloomfield work a lick up to the 9th, they're paying tribute to Mr. Walker."

"Walker favored sliding 9th chords (Call it Stormy Monday) and popularized the use of chromatic dominant-7th and -9th
runways to the I7, IV7, and V7 changes."

"T-Bone would work a lick across the high strings, peaking on the 9th degree (beat 3). He also liked to bend into the
b5 from a half step below."

"He would often emphasize the 9 by holding it longer than preceding notes and placing it on strong beats"

"9th degree and recurring 6th tones play an important role in T-Bones sound"

I have TAB of some of his licks. I'll post them here later.

Again, thankx to anyone who can help with this

Ken

EDIT - Also, the Allman Brothers seemed to be influenced by T-Bones sound with songs like Call It Stormy Monday and
"Dreams". Any takes on their version of the style, the song Dreams in particular would also be great.
Thankx again

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles