Skip to content
I maybe getting ahe...

Notifications
Clear all

I maybe getting ahead of myself here....

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

but ive got the itch to try something that has some discernable sound to it. How to musicians play by hear?

I had a friend that played guitar, he could hear a song one time and play the guitar riff part perfectly and he didnt know how to read music at all!!

Ive been trying to do Lynyrd skynyrds Free bird guitar part at the beggining, but do i just need to keep listening to it and keep plucking at the strings till it sounds right? is that how its done?

By the way, im using a C size battery to get that slide guitar sound!! LOL..

I know im getting way ahead of myself, but id like to show my wife when she gets home tonight from work that i am learning something!! LOL.. and maybe impress a bit. LOL :lol:

SLODOGG62

(@alangreen)

Yep, that's how it's done, and it gets a lot easier the more of it you do.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You'll have an easier time if you tune to Open G and use a slide that fits like a pipe over your little or ring finger. You can play it in standard, too, and it's exactly the same because you play it all on strings 2-4, which are identically tuned in Open G and standard (except for one slide up on the bass strings that's basically just background noise and works either way), but muting skills aren't so critical in Open G where any strings that are sounding are in harmony with one another.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I read you other post.
I like that you have great attitude with your instrument.
having desire breeds inventiveness.
one develops their own style.
try other slides because if you continue to use a battery
you will get the knick name
blind bunny blues.

hey, I could not come up with anything using AAA's. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Listen to Ricochet...he knows.
That open G is a special slide basic... 8)

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You'll have an easier time if you tune to Open G and use a slide that fits like a pipe over your little or ring finger. You can play it in standard, too, and it's exactly the same because you play it all on strings 2-4, which are identically tuned in Open G and standard (except for one slide up on the bass strings that's basically just background noise and works either way), but muting skills aren't so critical in Open G where any strings that are sounding are in harmony with one another.

Now what is that in laymens terms ? LOL

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Learning songs by ear does get easier with time. And as you learn songs by ear you pick things up along the way. You will find you recognize certain progressions easily after awhile. The 12 bar blues can be recognized very quickly. So if you know the 1st chord, then your other chords are most likely the simple 4th and 5th. So if the song starts in C, you know the other chords are gonna be F and G or G7. The old I, VIm, IV, V progression is easy to recognize. This is the progression used for nearly every Rock song in the 50's. Crocodile Rock by Elton John uses this progression with variation, but you can hear the progression in there. So, the more you play and listen, the easier it gets to recognize progressions like this.

And if you listen to certain artists, you will find they like certain keys. Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd is in the key of G. They played many other songs in this key. Hendrix liked the keys of E and A especially. So if you spend any time with a particular artist, it usually gets easier and easier to figure out what they are doing.

You will even start to recognize chords after awhile. You can recognize an E chord by the big bass E note. You can oftentimes recognize the Dsus4 to D chord change as you hear it in many, many songs. The G chord has long sustained open strings. You will be surprised, but after awhile you will recognize these sounds.

Follow the bass line. The bass will almost always play the root note for each chord. OK, the bass player played a B note. Does the chord sound happy? Then it's probably the B Major chord. Does it sound slightly melancholy? Then it's probably a B Minor chord. Does it sound kinda jazzy? Then it's probably a dominant chord like a B7, B9, or B11. This is how you do it. Find the bass note which is usually the root, and then listen to hear if it is Major, Minor, or Dominant.

Just practice learning by ear every day. In no time you will get very good at it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Come on down to the Slide and Alternate Tunings Forum where you'll get lots of help. Open G means tuning your guitar strings, low to high, DGDGBD. Note that three of the strings are the same as in standard tuning, EADGBE. Those are the strings the Free Bird slide riffs are played on. But it's a whole lot easier in Open G than in standard, because if you haven't learned how to perfectly silence ("mute") the strings you're not playing, some of them will sound absolutely awful in standard tuning. In Open G, the strings all blend together to make a major chord at every fret. As for the slide, a tube that fits over your finger is the easy way. It's called "bottleneck" playing because the neck of a wine bottle is a popular slide. So is a Craftsman deep socket that fits your finger. There are many other improvised or commercially made slides available, and you can't have too many.

Slide rocks!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

A lot of it isn't even praciticing learning by ear, it's just practicing normal stuff on the guitar. Eventually you come to a point where you go "that note sounds like its here" and you play the note. Eventually, after you play a lot, you start to remember key phrases players use, and it's real easy to pick those out and play them when you know the key of the song. Lots of rock n'roll/blues playing works out of a box, so if you know the box, you can guess pretty easily what the next note will be.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yep, that's how it's done, and it gets a lot easier the more of it you do.

A :-)

Thanks Alan !

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks alot Ricochet !!

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I read you other post.
I like that you have great attitude with your instrument.
having desire breeds inventiveness.
one develops their own style.
try other slides because if you continue to use a battery
you will get the knick name
blind bunny blues.

hey, I could not come up with anything using AAA's. :D

Thanks again dogbite !!

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Listen to Ricochet...he knows.
That open G is a special slide basic... 8)

Thanks !

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Learning songs by ear does get easier with time. And as you learn songs by ear you pick things up along the way. You will find you recognize certain progressions easily after awhile. The 12 bar blues can be recognized very quickly. So if you know the 1st chord, then your other chords are most likely the simple 4th and 5th. So if the song starts in C, you know the other chords are gonna be F and G or G7. The old I, VIm, IV, V progression is easy to recognize. This is the progression used for nearly every Rock song in the 50's. Crocodile Rock by Elton John uses this progression with variation, but you can hear the progression in there. So, the more you play and listen, the easier it gets to recognize progressions like this.

And if you listen to certain artists, you will find they like certain keys. Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd is in the key of G. They played many other songs in this key. Hendrix liked the keys of E and A especially. So if you spend any time with a particular artist, it usually gets easier and easier to figure out what they are doing.

You will even start to recognize chords after awhile. You can recognize an E chord by the big bass E note. You can oftentimes recognize the Dsus4 to D chord change as you hear it in many, many songs. The G chord has long sustained open strings. You will be surprised, but after awhile you will recognize these sounds.

Follow the bass line. The bass will almost always play the root note for each chord. OK, the bass player played a B note. Does the chord sound happy? Then it's probably the B Major chord. Does it sound slightly melancholy? Then it's probably a B Minor chord. Does it sound kinda jazzy? Then it's probably a dominant chord like a B7, B9, or B11. This is how you do it. Find the bass note which is usually the root, and then listen to hear if it is Major, Minor, or Dominant.

Just practice learning by ear every day. In no time you will get very good at it.

Thanks alot Wes !!

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Come on down to the Slide and Alternate Tunings Forum where you'll get lots of help. Open G means tuning your guitar strings, low to high, DGDGBD. Note that three of the strings are the same as in standard tuning, EADGBE. Those are the strings the Free Bird slide riffs are played on. But it's a whole lot easier in Open G than in standard, because if you haven't learned how to perfectly silence ("mute") the strings you're not playing, some of them will sound absolutely awful in standard tuning. In Open G, the strings all blend together to make a major chord at every fret. As for the slide, a tube that fits over your finger is the easy way. It's called "bottleneck" playing because the neck of a wine bottle is a popular slide. So is a Craftsman deep socket that fits your finger. There are many other improvised or commercially made slides available, and you can't have too many.

Slide rocks!

Thanks again Ricochet !!

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2