Skip to content
A pick question..or...

Notifications
Clear all

A pick question..or.. where does it go !

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

would putting the pick in between the strings at the top when your not playing, would that tend to screw up the tunning of the strings?

Thanks again all !!

SLODOGG62

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

thats what i do...it dont mess the tuning....but you should be tuning up each time you play anyway

funny thing is i still lose picks :roll: .....guess they go the same place my odd socks do 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thats what i do...it dont mess the tuning....but you should be tuning up each time you play anyway

funny thing is i still lose picks :roll: .....guess they go the same place my odd socks do 8)

Thanks ballybiker !!

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I always leave a pick up there on all my guitars. makes it nice when I am inspired to play and I dont have to waste time looking for a pick.
on my strat I always have one pick stuck in between the pick guard on the upper bout side.
handy when you drop one while playing.

always buy more than one pick. I have them all over the house.
I also keep at least one in that little pocket within a pocket in my jeans. they go thru the wash and dont ever fall out.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I always leave a pick up there on all my guitars. makes it nice when I am inspired to play and I dont have to waste time looking for a pick.
on my strat I always have one pick stuck in between the pick guard on the upper bout side.
handy when you drop one while playing.

always buy more than one pick. I have them all over the house.
I also keep at least one in that little pocket within a pocket in my jeans. they go thru the wash and dont ever fall out.
Thanks dogbite !!

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I always keep a selection of picks in that little pocket too. Very thoughtful of the designers to provide a pick pocket. :lol:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it can mess up the tuning a little.

When you put the pick in, you're adding a tiny bit more tension to the strings. If the strings slip inside the nut grooves, they may not slip back the same amount when you remove the pick - one or more strings could end up slightly sharp.

But it should be tiny, and it probably won't happen that often.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I always keep a selection of picks in that little pocket too. Very thoughtful of the designers to provide a pick pocket. :lol:

8)
Once again, I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one.
My reasoning is that I'll always have one handy when I drop into a music store, or pawn shop to check out their wares.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@henrik)
Trusted Member

That's a great tip, I've never thought about what I could use that little pocket for!

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I keep mine right next to the bottle of vodka. :lol:

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I've seen some guys weave the pick between the 6th, 5th and 4th strings - as someone mentioned I think. That really adds a lot of static tension. Years ago I got into just just over the 6th and under the 5th, but real loose. Sometimes it's not even all the way up toward the nut; just around the 3rd fret or so.

For performance I stick them on with double-sided foam tape.

Which is too sticky! You pull the pick off and a chunk of foam comes with it.

I experimented and found that a little forehead oil works great to lessen the adhesion; take a 4 inch strip, remove one side of the adhesive protection, press to (hopefully not freshly washed) forehead once or twice, take off the other protection strip and press to pickguard.

Works just about every time. If it doesn't then you have to hold the guitar to your forehead, which looks a little weird, so best to do it when nobody's around. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I do this

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote