Notifications
Clear all

I Need Help Quick

25 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Ok, thank you for the help. I'm still debating on whether or not to attempt it myself, but at least I know what to do now.

ReplyQuote
(@jonathan-h)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so for mine I should just do it one string at a time? And thanks for all the replys and comments. They have been very useful!

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Changing strings is quite easy. You should learn to do this. I take all my strings off at one time so I can clean the fret board. If you feel a little uncomfortable doing this then yes just change one at a time.

ReplyQuote
(@jonathan-h)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so I jsut take on off at a time. Change the string as shown on the weblink you gave on the other page. When I pull the string through the tuning knob thing should i pull it through so it is tight or leave it with some slack so that when i tune it the string gets tighter?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Ok, so I jsut take on off at a time. Change the string as shown on the weblink you gave on the other page. When I pull the string through the tuning knob thing should i pull it through so it is tight or leave it with some slack so that when i tune it the string gets tighter?
Pull it through until it is tight then pull it back about an inch and a half. If you don't the string will break before you get it up to tune or you will have no windings on the post when it is in tune.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@jonathan-h)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Damn, I have just done about half of the guitar but I havn't pulled each string back the inch and a half. Should I redo it or just leave it?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

darn, I have just done about half of the guitar but I havn't pulled each string back the inch and a half. Should I redo it or just leave it?As long as you ended up with 2 or 3 windings around the post when it is tuned up you should be OK. Just tune them up slow so you don't break a string trying to get the windings

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@jonathan-h)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I have just finished the restring and was suprised how easy it really is and I guess the more I do it, the easier it will get. But thanks guys for all your help. You've been great and I was suprised to log on the morning after I posted the topic to see it had grown to 2 pages of replys. Something you wouldn't get on other forums! Normally on forums people don't like to help newbies, but this seems to be the exception to the rule!

Thanks and happy rocking m/

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey, most of us are newbies, some just less new than others. That's kind of like the old saying "everyone is equal just some are more equal"

Anyway, glad it worked out for you. Now your past a major hurdle and did better than most since you didn't even break any strings.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Congrats on your first string change. The first time is always a little funky because you're scared you'll screw something up or you'll forget which way things are supposed to wind, or some other little thing that you cant figure out.
Normally on forums people don't like to help newbies, but this seems to be the exception to the rule!

This place is the exception to a lot of rules. The people here are a really nice bunch of people, and the ones who have been playing guitar for years know that everyone has to start somewhere. There are no people trying to type in "1337 5p34K" (the most retarded way to write things on the planet) to see who can be the most annoying, and no one just sits around waiting for others to make a post so they can bash it. People handle things in a mature and adult manner around here, and I believe the most heated exchange I've seen ended with something to the effect of: Ok, I believe we can agree to disagree on this.

Stick around a while and catch up on what's been going on lately. You'll be absolutely amazed how helpful people are around here.

Someday I hope to get good enough to be helpful as well. Until then, I'll just keep ranting about how friendly things are around here :)

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2