Clear all

I practice on an electric... but...

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

... is it worth me getting an acoustic to help overcome the issues im having?

(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Would help to say what issues you're having.

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

see here https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33693

ReplyQuote
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

I changed from an acoustic to an electric because of similar issues. I found the electric much easier. For me, the acoustic was harder to fret cleanly without muting strings. The lower action on the electric allowed me to use much lighter finger pressure which also helped.

"...it's in him, and it got to come out..." - JLH

ReplyQuote
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

..... wow - when I logged on today, I had no idea I'd be the lead-in for Satan. I'm starting to get worried about how the rest of my day will turn out .....

POST COUNT: 13 - oh crap - this isn't looking good for me right now ......

"...it's in him, and it got to come out..." - JLH

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

ut oh..... better look out for the.......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry, had to.........

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

... is it worth me getting an acoustic to help overcome the issues im having?

I don't honestly know what the 'official line' on this would be. But I can only say what my own experience was.

My first guitar was a normal steel string jumbo style acoustic. It seemed hard to get my fingers into the space, and hard to press the strings down. This was discouraging. So I bought a nylon string classical style guitar. These have a much wider neck. It was now a lot easier to place my fingers, but of course the sound wasn't exactly what I wanted... :roll:

But it served me well and I did two terms of beginner lessons with it. By this stage my fingers had magically shrunk, stretched, become elastic, or whatever it is that appears to happen with experience and confidence. :D I now play acoustic, electric, steel, nylon, whatever's around at the time. The 'disavantages' of the electrics now mostly seem like advantages. It's all relative...

There's no real reason to swap away from electric - you'll still have to go through the tough stages, and will to some extent just swap one set of difficulties for another. BUT.... having said that.... the only really important thing with guitar is to keep your motivation and interest up for long enough to gain the skills you need. So if it does the trick for you then it's right - no matter how wrong or unnecessary it was for anybody else. It's at least worth trying out some other styles of guitar and seeing if you feel more comfortable with them 8)

That's how it seems to me anyhow.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

For me the choice was also about what kind of music do you want to play. For example, I like traditional Celtic folk music and no matter how hard I mig try my LP always sounds out of place when I try to play that genre on it. But my Freshman acoustic glows every time I play a jig or a traditional melody. Equally, I find tha Chicago Blues on an acoustic doesn't do it for me .. and theat's when one of the electrics come into their own.

Essentially I am an acoustic man and I have been for a long long time. Not sure I 'missed out' by not having an electric cos I was having fun. Nowadays I enjoy having one cos it feels like a different instrument (bit like my mandolin) so when I get fed up with the acoustic I have a back up to rescue me.

I've never found that one helped me to overcome a problem I was having on the other. All it would show me was - yup ... there's a problem! :-)

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote