I think i bought the wrong guitar...

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 cao
(@cao)
Topic starter  

Hello GNF,

Well as you've noticed I'm new to the forums [great site], and have been just searching and reading through many different posts trying to find an answer.

I'm very new to playing guitar, and have been playing on a friend's guitar for only a few days, just learning a the basic chords. Well of course, it's not possible for me to practice playing with his guitar at on my own time, so he suggested that I purchase my own.

After much research and debating, I bought the Yamaha FG700S folk acoustic guitar online. Plenty of good reviews and the price was on the mark. However, once it came in, I realize it's a bit too big. I'm 5'6'' but it still didn't feel comfortable in my lap. While playing the Yamaha, my right shoulder starts to become very tired after a few minutes of playing. The reason for the online purchase is because the music shops around here either don't carry Yamaha's or their lowest price guitar would $350-400 on up. Besides the kid's guitars that have the graphics on it.

My main question is, could you recommend me a better fitting guitar that's a little bit smaller than FG700S with the same avg price range $200-300. I'm not sure how much smaller I'll need to go but, maybe an OM' sized guitar? Also, I know that Martin guitars have their own sizing guide such as 000 to 0000 in sizing, but for Yamaha or some other brands I'm not familiar with how they name their sizes.

Thanks in advance
-cao

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Cao.

I cannot answer your main question. I'm not up with accoustics that much. I will suggest that you verify, somehow, that you are playing in the proper playing position. I'd hate to see you get rid of a guitar that you otherwise like because of improper playing position. I think there's an article on the GN site about it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Stretch to $329

http://www.music123.com/Seagull-The-Original-S6-Acoustic-Guitar-512120-i1147556.Music123

I guarantee you won't be disappointed. The Seagull is a great guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome aboard!

I don't really play much acoustic guitar either, as rparker mentioned; But - I recently picked up an acoustic/electric, & I must admit, after playing thin body electrics for many years, this thing feels "bulky" to me too. I feel it is just because I am not used to the larger body size of an acoustic.

I might suggest taking it to a *reputable* teacher that you feel you could trust & get their opinion on how they think it looks while you are playing it. They could possible give you a few pointers on holding it/technique, etc.

I also find I am more comfortable standing while playing the acoustic, rather than sitting.

Regards, kat :)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

welcome. I am thinking that you, being so new to guitar, are discovering some things we have all gone through and have gotten used to.
when I first started playing my big bodied acoustic I felt the same thing with my right arm. it was uncomfortable and pinchy.
now, Ive been playing a long time and am used to some discomfort and adjustment. but this was huge.
I got off the edge of the bed nd sat on a chair. I sat more straight up too. problem almost solved. after a few weeks I was used to the feeling.

I think you just have to get used to the feeling. you are not that small. soon, I think the pain in your finger tips will take your mind off the uncomfortable arm. hang in there.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

soon, I think the pain in your finger tips will take your mind off the uncomfortable arm. :lol: Yeah, he'll find that out soon enough!

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member

In my experience, when you first start playing, you won't be able to play for more than 20 minutes or so at a time.

Also, pay very close attention to your whole body while playing. It is a natural tendency to tighten up various muscles when concentrating on any activity. Doing so while playing guitar can only lead to pain, unless you're already a weightlifter or martial artist :lol:

Seriously, while you're sitting there, take notice of your arms, legs, back, hands, etc. If you are tightening up any of these, you probably don't need to. Relax. Play some more. Check yourself. Relax again, etc. Soon you'll find that this will help considerably.

But at first, as I said, you shouldn't try to play for very long at a time. At least give yourself a 10 minute break, go get a drink of water or something, and relax those muscles.

Welcome.

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

I was the same when I started. I had a dreadnought acoustic and just assumed that it felt odd because it was new to me.

I tried a Taylor 314, a 'Grand Auditorium' shape and it just seemed much easier to hold and luckily I could afford it, so I bought that.

However, now, some 3 years later, I can hold any acoustic guitar and play it fine, so I do think that there is an element of 'getting used to it'.

If I were you I'd follow the advice offerred; get someone to check that your position is okay and then just keep practicing and see if you overcome it.

If you can though,do try to get to a guitar store and try various different models and see if one floats your boat. Yamaha do an APX range that's relatively petite, but they cost more than your average dread (most common shape). I know that Vintage do some very cost effective models ( http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageacoustic.html ) but I believe that the quality control is a bit hit or miss, so I wouldn't buy one without trying it first (I have a Jumbo Vintage brand guitar and I love it).

I remember when I had to use my right hand to manually place my left hand fingers on the fretboard to form a 'C' chord and after 2 or 3 strums they'd have moved and I'd have to start again. Now I don't even think about it, so maybe this is just one of those things that you need to 'push through'?

Good luck with it though.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

It is a question of getting the muscles in your arm and shoulders to become used to the awkward position that you have started to put them into . It will get better over time . You could also try playing with a strap standing up . That might allow the angle of your arm to be a little less .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I stand 5 feet tall, but I can play any full sized acoustic guitar. So, I really don't think it's necessarily the wrong guitar for you. It's probably a little different than your friend's guitar, and may feel a bit awkward now, but, if you continue to play it (and in the correct position as stated before), I'm willing to bet that you'll find it gets more comfortable as time goes by.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 cao
(@cao)
Topic starter  

Everyone, thanks for all the replies.

Alright, as of now, I believe (as mostly everyone here does) that it's just a matter of getting used to the guitar. Even though it's a bit large compared to all my friends' guitars, I'll bring it to them and let them evaluate my posture as I play (or try to play :cry: ).

Well without making a new post to answer this, but I was told that many people recommended changing out the stock strings on a new guitar for anything else. Would anyone like to recommend a set of strings that would help build my calluses without causing unbearable pain in playing and wouldn't harm sound qualities? Brand specific an/or sizing such as 'light, custom light'? Not sure of the exact difference besides slightly different thickness?

thanks again =]
- Cao

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think some standard lights would be fine. For accoustic, that means 12's. I would not worry about custom-lights. They're similar, but some of the strings have different guages for some customized purposes, like a particular sound, etc. Later on, perhaps.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

Strings- any bronze light strings. You're gonna build callouses if you play. Strings won't make much difference from brand to brand on this.

Plan to change your strings again in, say, 2 months. It'll make your guitar seem totally new when you get rid of the old dulled strings.

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I think some standard lights would be fine. For accoustic, that means 12's. I would not worry about custom-lights. They're similar, but some of the strings have different guages for some customized purposes, like a particular sound, etc. Later on, perhaps

I may be in the minority here, but I reckon 12's may be a bit too heavy for a raw beginner. Hand strength is a factor, and lighter strings may be better until cao builds up that strength, which, like the callouses, will only come with practise. I'd try 10s', they aren't going to be on forever and you can always change to a heavier gauge if you feel like it later. (Or even a lighter gauge - I use 9's on ALL my guitars, hand strength being a MAJOR factor there, though, because of a series of hand injuries.)

In the end, cao, it's going to be up to you what gauge you use - most acoustic guitarists use 10's, 11's or 12's, so if I were you, I'd start at the lower end (10's) or the middle(11's.) Others will probably disagree, so see what everyone else says and average it out!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've never tried lighter than 12's on my accoustic. I figured that if D'Adarrio called 12's light, I'd better buck up and stop being a wuss. :lol:

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2