I want to be like slash..

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

All

I've been playing for about 5 months mostly rhythm, been getting tonnes of help from members at "GN", doing as well as expected, having lessons, changed my teacher the last couple of weeks as i want to learn lead, the new guy is spot on he's in my friends band and can do some amazing things and he's only 18, 12yrs my jnr, normally i wouldn't like someone that much younger than me teaching me something but he's something else, anyway, i'm getting there with the lead thing slowly it helped i think that i got a bit of rhythm down first, learning bohemian rhapsody at the moment it's cool as it has loads of different stuff in there, what sort of things did you lead guitarist first learn that helped with your progresion? And i really do want to play like Slash.. 8)

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Start with the blues. Espscially if you like Slash.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

+1

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Here it is - ''/''. You just have to bend 30 degrees backwards and you become like a slash. (Reverse for becoming a backslash - '''').

LOL, kidding aside, to play like Slash you have to end up with a LOT of practice. It will take you much more than 5 months, so keep trying and learning. Learn your scales, play them note by note and then try to play them fast.

Learn how to bend properly as Slash really does that a lot. You can start by playing note by note through tabs. Later you can try playing along the CD. Record yourself and compare after sometime. To specifically help playing a riff, some looper kind of thing can be helpful.

Good Luck. And by the way, getting a Les Paul won't be a bad idea to be truely able to play like Slash. Also noodle hair and cigarette dangling from the mouth while playing. (Make sure you don't drop it).

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Don't forget the Jack Daniels.

Check out YouTube or GuitarWorld.com for his "Cat in the Hat" lessons. Rahul mentioned learning to bend like Slash and he had one lesson in particular that covered bending. He talked about how he bends with different fingers for different sounds.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Actually, while I still stand by my earlier +1................

if you wanna be like Slash, I wouldn't get too caught up in trying to sound like Slash. Remember he did what he did by taking his influences and then running with it, creating something else, something unique.

If you wanna play Slash's riff and solos by all means get and stay engrossed in it. But if you wanna be lke him, be sure to add some variety and be prepared to break away from his influence.

A great quote I heard once......"Don't try to be like someone. Strive to be better than them!" 8)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i have a lick library dvd guns n roses, i've only quickly looked at it so i'm gonna get that out.

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Actually, while I still stand by my earlier +1................

if you wanna be like Slash, I wouldn't get too caught up in trying to sound like Slash. Remember he did what he did by taking his influences and then running with it, creating something else, something unique.

If you wanna play Slash's riff and solos by all means get and stay engrossed in it. But if you wanna be lke him, be sure to add some variety and be prepared to break away from his influence.

A great quote I heard once......"Don't try to be like someone. Strive to be better than them!" 8)

Another +1; I love his playing but knew I'd heard similar, and then it struck me - check out some of the guitar work for Thin Lizzy on Jailbreak and Johnny the Fox.

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Slash is one of my favorite modern guitar players, I can understand why you want to sound like him.

But I will give you some advice. Don't concentrate on sounding like one single guitar player. I can say this from experience, when I started out, Hendrix was the one I wanted to copy. Man, I spent years learning his solos, and I got quite a few of them down note for note.

But you know what? One day I realized that I sounded just like Hendrix. That may sound good, but it is not. There has already been a Jimi Hendrix, and nobody wants another. :roll:

After that I listened to and copied many other players. I still sound like Hendrix at times, but you can hear others, and even some of my own personal licks as well.

You don't want to sound just like somebody else, you will just be labeled a copycat. No, you want your own style that sounds different from everybody else. All of your notable players have a distinct style that most people can identify immediately. I can identify Hendrix in just seconds. Carlos Santana is like that too, everybody can tell when he is playing on a recording.

My advice is to listen to lots of good guitar players you like and steal a little bit from each one. Now you will develop your own personal style.

But it is perfectly ok to learn Slash's solos, you will learn a lot about lead guitar from him. His style is really very mainstream Rock.

Look for songs with easy solos to start with. First you crawl, then you walk, then you run. Playing lead guitar is the same. Start with short simple solos and build up to longer, more complex solos. Be patient, lead guitar takes many years to play well.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Carlos Santana is like that too, everybody can tell when he is playing on a recording.

Great example. He does alot of guitar work on other artist's songs, and you can always tell when it's Santana. So smooooth. What a great player to listen to. But maybe I'm just biased ;D

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

To me it seems like most everything that Santana plays is based on A or D it's like the only to keys he plays in OK maybe Am or Dm.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

To me it seems like most everything that Santana plays is based on A or D it's like the only to keys he plays in OK maybe Am or Dm.

Maybe, but I wish I was only that good!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote