I'm developing an annoying habit, can you help

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 bit
(@bit)
Topic starter  

Two actually ..

Since I've only been playing for about 3 weeks I hope I can break these.

As I have gotten more dexterity and started picking and fretting different strings I seem to be getting lazy and muting any string I'm not using at that moment but problably should be using. I know the proper hand position to clear all the strings, but in order to string any 3 picked notes together I seem to forsake that position for what feels comfortable and works.

So should I endure the uncomfortable and awkward yet correct position or learn to just lift my in the way fingers faster :)

The second problem is kind of funny. My toes .. I find myself curling them when ever I am 'feeling' the music and just jamming (it sounds horrible for the most part, but I get into it) .. as a matter of fact I find my whole body tensing up when im playing, hunched over looking at my strings.

How can I become a rock god (in my house) if I look and feel like that? :mrgreen:

So any advice on staying loose?

Thanks,

m/

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It is easier to answer the second question than the first. It is obvious you are very tense when you play. This is very common, so do not feel bad about that, but tension is the enemy of speed and playing well. You will find in time that playing guitar is a very relaxed thing. When you strum, your strumming hand is very relaxed and loose. When you fret chords or notes, you use a light touch, not a death grip. The great thing is that you have already realized that you are tensing up. Well, all I can say is when you realize you are tense, RELAX. :D

Really, that is all you can do. Just relax. Don't grip the neck like you are chopping down a tree with an axe. Ease up. Let your strumming wrist be as loose as possible. Pay attention to your breathing. I am willing to bet that you often find you are holding your breath. Quit curling your toes, you are gonna get some painful cramps. :D

As far as muting strings, it is perfectly alright to mute strings you aren't playing. Now, if you are strumming a full chord, that is different, you want all the strings to sound. But if you are playing a scale on the 1st string, you can lay your picking hand across the other strings, what difference does it make? Actually, one of the biggest secrets to electric guitar especially is learning how to mute strings you don't want to sound. What makes guitar such a difficult instrument is that it is so easy to play poorly. Anybody can touch a single piano key without touching others no problem. But picking one or two strings without touching others is difficult.

That's all I can say. If several strings are meant to sound, quit muting them. But do not worry about muting strings that aren't supposed to sound.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

too early in the game to be habits yet.
do not play tensed. one way to stop that is to stand up and try playing. that'l shake your senses.

everyone has developed tricks or styles when fretting and playing chords. that is natural.
however, you may be too soon to try that. if you don't learn the 'rules' then you will not be able to play in the game...so to speak.
it helps to concentrate and learn the standard aspects of guitar posture and playing.
after that, I believe it is a must to let your personality take hold.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote