Clear all

im in need of some 'creativity' lessons on guitar

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@megalomaniac)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

now i know you cant teach someone to be creative and such, but well lately i've been feeling as if i lack a certain something pretty much. whenever i play guitar i'll just noodle around, or play inside of a scale, but if i ever start trying to make up riff's or chord progressions i analyze the hell out of them with theory, thus destroying them.
mostly i think i know what my problem is, and that i know too much theory for my current level of actually guitar playing,
so everything turns out to sound an interesting way.
anywho i guess by attempting to talk about this, then i figure i can try to understand my dilema more and overcome it
thought's, idea's or things i should try working to help improve the manufacturing of riffs and chord progressions, so i dont bomebard it with theory or anything of the sort?

(@southpaw_pete)
Eminent Member

One idea I find really useful is to record all my "noodlings". That way, once you've come up with a killer riff, but then analyzed it to the point of death and completely spoiled it for yourself (it's a common trait!!) you can still go back and listen to the original idea.

If you don't have recording software already, start with something free and simple like Audacity - just hit record, fool around with the guitar, then play it back later and see what moments of inspiration you've captured!

Good luck

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

take a random string and downtune it two semitones. Now use your normal open chords and noodle around. You wont *know* what your doing probably so you'll have to listen. Btw, creativity is definitely something you can (or must!) learn.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a secret code to breaking the creativity lock is to realize that creativity is individual. I mean, we try to play like someone else; someone's style or tone. we use the same tools, scales, theory, etc. but we always come to the same end. nothing really unique.
why is that other artist sounds so creative ? I believe, it is because they looked inside and found that doing it their own way was best. they have their own interpretation.
be original. break some rules, like Ignar says. get out of the box.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@megalomaniac)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks you guys!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

try hearing the riff in your head first, before touching your guitar, then try to figure out what you've imagined.thats how I did some of the riffs I'm happiest with.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Not sure I can add much to what everyone has already stated but here goes. You're already aware that you are analyzing your music before it develops and that's a good starting point. You have to put the theory away sometimes.
Stop thinking it. Start feeling it. What I mean is...you have to listen to the chords/riffs your are playing and become absorbed by them. For example, the other night I played an open G and Am for at least one hour. I just fiddled around inside of those 2 chords experimenting with different strumming patterns and arpeggios. Fast, then slow..etc. I listened deeply to the harmonies inside the chords and how they resonated within the guitar.

In doing so, I began to here different counter melodies or riffs that could be added.

No theory. No examination. Just listen to the notes.

Find your own way by listening.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@megalomaniac)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

that last thing's the sort of thing i guess i've been looking to hear
but i just needed to talk about it in order to clear my mind
any other helpful things i should consider or that you guys might be willing to share?

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

try hearing the riff in your head first, before touching your guitar, then try to figure out what you've imagined.

Not that I'm an expert on songwriting or even a songwriter :roll: just someone who wrote a few songs - but only one of them actually happened while I was playing around on the guitar. Walking the dog seems to be especially good for creativity :?
Back to the language analogy used elsewhere, using chord theory exclusively is like trying to write a poem using a textbook of Business English. Good if you want to write a form letter - or in this case, video game muzik.

I was hung up for a little while on the fact that all my songs seemed to use fairly common chords. I thought maybe I was starting to repeat myself - a lot - and should reach out for an F# minor or such :roll: lol but fortunately came to my senses - every rock and roll anthem, a lot of Pink Floyd, and virtually all country music was written with those common chords. So I am just going to go with the flow (the one I'm hearing in my head of course :wink: )

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

yup, I've been known (just last week, in fact) to be walking into the kitchen to make a cup of tea, only to have a bunch of lyrics just suddenly form or flow out of me. my 'songbook' actually consists of the back of used envelopes, paper napkins, old train tickets, etc, etc.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote