Improve Strumming with Flamenco?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I'm slowly building up my repetoire of songs and I'm having difficulty singing and playing at the same time. Its mainly my strumming hand thats the problem, I just can't get it moving in patterns naturally. I'm quite focussed on this at the moment and it seems like a mini plateau, so I thought I'd try and learn different methods of tweasing sound out of my axe to try and gain some right hand independance.

I thought It'd be fun to learn some flamenco playing, because it sounds very cool very quickly! I cant fingerpick very well(complete noob), so I'm really just learning the large flamboyant style of strumming. It feels cool to attack the guitar like that and produce some nice sounding spanish music, It gives my right hand a good feel of the strings and the space around them, which can only be good right?

What I'm really asking though, should I bother trying to learn Flameco style guitar to try and bust me out of my right hand independance plateua I seem to be stuck on OR should I learn standard finger picking style first?

Additionally I'm interested in anything relevant to this style of playing, anyone into flamenco or variations of it? Any nice links for me to check out?

Cheers in advance.

(@blueline)
Noble Member

Havn't a clue on how to play that style so I can't help you there. But, you may want to watch these 2 kids playing.
Rodrigo Y Gabriella This is a link to a lesson the give on Youtube. I have their album and it never ceases to amaze me.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Kroikey,

Flamenco is one of the most hard and complex styles in music. Flamenco has several flavor or substyles or "palos". I mean flamenco, no the several flamenco-ish styles like rumba and similar. Several of my friends that play flamenco needed a teacher and they were very good guitarists.

Hope it helps.

ReplyQuote