Clear all

Introduction and a Question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. First post here, so I suppose an introduction is in order. I started playing guitar while I am at home about a year ago and its really a blast. Only problem is, I have been using my fathers guitar, so I cant play when I am at college. This has caused a few problems, the most obvious being that I really want to play, but cant! The other problem is that I am progressing much slower than I would like to, as in the year of playing, I only got about 3 or so months of actual playing, and that was all spread out over breaks.

I have started to look into getting something that I can call my own, but I figured I would do my research, and ask you guys. I have already looked around online a lot to get a feel for what is out there. So, here come the questions. First, I think I would like to go with electric, but there are a few things holding me back. The first thing being that I have heard that just playing electric makes picking up an acoustic much harder due to the string tension and lack of pickups. Second, if I play an electric without the amp, would I be able to hear it ok? I dont want to always have to play loudly - when I am practicing, no one really wants to hear scales and butchered songs over and over again ;).

Next question is if I do decide to go with an electric, which one to go with. I really want something that can play a large range of songs - I like everything from classic rock (ccr, acdc, zep, vh, etc) to some more modern stuff, so there is that "clean" sound, and also the very distorted sound. The next consideration is price - as in, a low one. I dont have a great deal of money to spend. I think the $300 - $400 is about right - cant go much higher (at the moment).

Anyway, kind of a long winded post, but I appreciate any help or advice you guys can offer. Thanks a lot!

(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

Hey, Falcon1.
You won't really be able to hear the electric without an amp, unless it's semi-hollow.
For good begginer guitars, I think a Strat, or Telecaster are really good for under $400... fat strats can get you the punchier sound for Led Zeppilin. I think the Epiphone Les Pauls are REALLY good, but there for $600.
For an amp, you just need try some out... you'll get a feeling of what's good, all off them get clean sounds, most of them have disortion effects.

Good Luck!!

P.S. Another rule you'll get from the guys here is try out every guitar in your price range... works pretty good!!! ; )

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. This is really wierd. I have another thread further down the page with more replys and a slightly different title. I dont remember anything weird happening when posting though!

ReplyQuote