Clear all

Introduction (and that C chord!)

18 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@selfie)
Topic starter  

Hi people,

This is a repeat of a post I impulsively made in someone else's thread. Really sorry for the faux paux. Can you tell I don't post in forums very often? This one looks great, though, as does the entire website.

Here's what I posted about the C chord:

How on EARTH are my fingers supposed to assume this position comfortably? It seems like my ring and middle fingers just don't want to come apart enough. I just started playing -- toying, really -- as I needed something to do during the summer. But not being able to form this C chord is very discouraging. Anything I should be doing differently? My pinky wants to become involved (instead of the ring finger), but I wonder if that will mess up my chord progressions later?

I suppose this raises another question: I like to sit with the guitar and play with it, get it to talk to me, just finger different combinations to see what kinds of sounds it can make. Will this kind of activity instill bad habits? Should I be try to be more rigid and structured in my approach and avoid this playin' around stuff until I get better habits?

Some of my discouragement has melted away already, but still, I just can't imagine it ever feeling natural to hold a C chord (let alone easily switch to that position from a G or some other variation.) Is it possible my hands are just naturally inept or is this a common experience?

Selfie

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hello Selfie,
Welcome to Guitar Noise.
Yes it is normal to have problems like you describe.
It will get better before you know it and you will have trouble with other chords people commonly have trouble with like D and F.
Just playing aimlessly as you sometimes do is called Noodling and it is not nessecarily a bad thing. You are still exercising your fingers and learning to get them to work independently.
As for the C chord? Try holding the neck of your guitar a little higher.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Welcome to the site mate! 8)

I think what you're feeling is completely normal. And although one person may not have any troubles with a particular chord, you'll almost certainly find they have troubles with another.

To help you with your problem might I suggest looking at your sitting/guitar position as suggested in Mikespe's thread which incidentally was about his trouble with barre chords.

I know I've had occasions (and I'm still very green mind you) where I couldn't see myself having a hope in hell of getting my fingers to make a particular shape, but surprisingly I've managed to prove myself wrong. I'm sure you'll have the same outcome. Good luck! :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Don't worry about it Selfie. The C-Chord will become second nature. You'll struggle with others. The good thing about this activity is that there's ALWAYS something to learn. Enjoy!!!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I would recommend going back and forth with an Am to C progression. From the Am all you have to do is move your ring finger. Come up with some cool rhythms and before you know it your muscles will gain “memory”.

It's ALL about muscle memory. It's tough in the beginning because there is TOO much to work on and remember. Get down the basic chords and from there you can play tons of songs. Soon enough all the basic chords and more will be second nature.

And most importantly, we have ALL gone through what you are going through now. Just remember, what doesn't break us, only makes us stronger!

ReplyQuote
(@selfie)
Topic starter  

Thanks, guys. I've been working on posture, as Missile and Bennett suggested. IT does help to change the position of the instrument (maybe the problem is just that my posture is bad ;-) ). I've found that, while making some chords, my fingers like to come not just down, but in a little bit (toward the bottom of the guitar, or the lowest string.) Should I be working on pressing right down, or is it ok to allow my fingers to sort of curl in a bit as I described?

And noodling, I like that. That's what I'll say the next time someone asks me what I'm doing :-).

Selfie

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Hehe, not to worry you but with the C you're having trouble getting your fingers apart. Just wait til the B when you have to squeeze those little SOBs into a really small place.... :twisted:

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Is it possible my hands are just naturally inept or is this a common experience?
Both, really. Everyone is naturally inept. We all had trouble at first, but we all got the hang of it eventually.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The good thing about this activity is that there's ALWAYS something to learn. Enjoy!!!

I was thinking exactly that this morning. If I could wave a wand and be able to play like Segovia or Clapton, then would I?

Answer: No.

It's the journey that's so great (in fact it's always the journey..) and I would never want to wave away all the little moments of triumph and pleasure that I've had over the last year learning guitar - or want to miss out on any of the road ahead. :D

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

If I could wave a wand and be able to play like Segovia or Clapton, then would I?

Interesting. My first thought was "well, just for an hour or two". But then, would you ever go back?

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

If I could wave a wand and be able to play like Segovia or Clapton, then would I?

I could not agree more. The high that happens whenever you learn a challenging lick is worth every bit of effort.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN Selfie.

Nothing to add, really, your C chord is my F#m currently. But at one time it was the C, and the D still gives me fits now and then. But it does get easier the longer you stay at it. Its like someone else mentioned, its all about that muscle memory and the more times to play that chord the easier it gets. I like to find two chords that sound good together. The chord that I am working on and then a second one that I know pretty well. Then I just go back and forth between the two so I can work on changing and building that memory.

Good luck, and hang in there.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@selfie)
Topic starter  

Thanks Geoo and Tracker.. both your suggestions worked well together (from a comfortable chord to a less comfortable one, and then specifically from Am to C and back again.) Now I've got some hope that I'll get the hang of this.. can already feel the tips of my fingers flattening and hardening :-).

There are a lot of beginner songs listed.. does anyone have a favorite that it was particularly easy to get into? I'm trying "Horse With No Name" and that seems to be going well enough, but other suggestions would also be helpful.

Thanks again, all.

Selfie

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Try "Knocking on Heavens Door" That has easy chord changes and an easy strumming pattern and when you put it all together it sounds real nice.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the asylum!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2