Just Started Barre ...

Notifications
Clear all

Just Started Barre Chords Today...

37 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Robbie and Rip...maybe you were right...the barres aren't AS difficult as I expected..but still challenging...So I stand corrected..

I am sitting here laughing right now...I was just practicing switching from a barre chord to an open chord and then back and then slide the barre down 2 frets for a simple chord progression...

I am using the barre G chord on the 3rd fret AND...are you ready for this (you better sit down!): THE D Chord! Yes you read that right! The funny thing is it's not that hard. I find it harder to switch to the D from the open G chord than the barre! I thin slide the barre up to the first fret for the F chord...

I was laughing so hard because while it wasn't perfect, it was beginning to work!

One thing I did noptice though (which I expected)...I took my acoustic to work today and was foolong around with barres and it was kind of difficult. I found myself having to push down on the strings a bit harder...Now I do have .11's on the acoustic...When I practiced on the electric the barre chords seemed like old friends...as smooth as butter! Have any of you ever noticed this? It reminded me of a baseball player warming up in the batter's circle with the "doughnut" on the bat so that when he took the weight off the bat would feel lighter...

I think its still going to be a bit before I can play a song with barres but They seem to be easier than that dard D chord! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Just for Mike I added a new chart to my web site. It is on the chord charts page and it is the barre chord shapes including the fret and notes for the 5th and 6th strings. Left and right handed.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Just for Mike I added a new chart to my web site. It is on the chord charts page and it is the barre chord shapes including the fret and notes for the 5th and 6th strings. Left and right handed.

Are you trying to tell me something Nils! :lol:

On a side note I have proved myself wrong again (not hard to do!). I said that it would be a while before I used barre chords in a song...well I replaced the open G & F in the easy version of Wanted dead or Alive and it sounded COOL! Now the changes were MUCH slower than the open chords (well the G to F was easy) but fairly smooth!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Are you trying to tell me something Nils! :lol:
Nope, just trying to provide some help with the remembering part.
On a side note I have proved myself wrong again (not hard to do!). I said that it would be a while before I used barre chords in a song...well I replaced the open G & F in the easy version of Wanted dead or Alive and it sounded COOL! Now the changes were MUCH slower than the open chords (well the G to F was easy) but fairly smooth!
I always found barre chords themselves were not too difficult. Just the going from open to barre and back was always a problem. Barre chords are our friend.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Nils, I was looking at the charts you posted for the barre chords...I saw that with the chords that use the A shape formation you mute the 6th string. If you look at the fingerings I posted they barre all the way across to the 6th string? Which is the proper formation or does it really matter?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@freaky_nell)
Eminent Member

if you play e string on the open A chord you have an A/E, played at the 5th fret you have a D/A.
The low E is normally muted or not played

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Nils, I was looking at the charts you posted for the barre chords...I saw that with the chords that use the A shape formation you mute the 6th string. If you look at the fingerings I posted they barre all the way across to the 6th string? Which is the proper formation or does it really matter?

Thanks
In the end it does not matter but the correct formation is to mute or not play the low E. Most people consider it optional.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3