Clear all

Letters in Tabs

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dragoonx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I had a specific question about tabs... next to the numbers there at letters at times. Or symbols. But thing is, I'm not asking what they stand for, but more along the lines of how they are actually played on the guitar? I think theres hammer on and pull off(?). Anyways I'm not too sure on the names either but more importantly I want to know how they are actually picked ^^;; Seems to be blocking me from playing some songs in the easy songs section.

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I'd usually go into a description right here, but have you tried youtube searching e.g. 'guitar hammer ons' yet? a visual would help a LOT more than a description would, imho.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If it's hammering-on and pulling-off you're not sure about, and you see something like this.... 3h5p3....that would mean you'd pluck that particular string at the third fret (that's the 3) then - without plucking the string again - "hammering-on" i.e. hitting the string fairly hard at the fifth fret with another finger of your fretting hand (that's the h5 part) then - still without plucking the string again - pulling the finger off that you've just hammered on to sound the note at the 3rd fret again, that's the p3 part.

If it's something like this - 3b5 - that'd mean pluck the string at the third fret, then bend the string until it sounds like the note you'd play at the 5th fret. If there was "r3" after the 3b5 - i.e. 3b5r3 - that would mean release the bend until you're playing the original note.

Any clearer? If not, feel free to quote specific examples....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

There's a lesson here on Reading Tab by Paul Hackett.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote