Notifications
Clear all

looking for first amp

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ulose0)
Topic starter  

I too just bought my first guitar.now i am looking for an amp. I have no clue. Someone told me about a vox amp. Its supposed to mimic the sounds of other amps. I have looked it up on their site it is about 200 bucks and thats what i am looking to spend I have a peavey nitro guitar with humbuck and two single coil pick ups. I like rock music, all kinds,tesla,skynard, vh, metallica, segar, just about anything. I think I am picking things up pretty quickly, learning some chords and learning some song parts already.does this sound its what i need? thanks for any advice.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You will get variuos opinions on amps here.
Hey I like my amp just fine and it's really a great amp but just because I would recommend it doesn't mean it would be right for you.
The best thing really to do is take your guitar to your local music store and try out various amps in your price range.
Don't be afraid to play with the knobs and plan on spending some time there.

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

I just got a fender front man 15R for 89bucks. google turns up alot of good reviews on it and so far i'm diggin it.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

missleman hit the nail square here IMO. Try your local dealers. I just did this drill twice in the last 2 months. I bought a Marshall MG15DX ($159) as I wanted the effects to paly with. I was not all that happy with the crunch channel as the reviews on line mentined that. That drawback was known up front, but I wished I had played the amp longer and worked through my poor playing. :oops: I now have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with the tube sound I like and a foot switch for the overdrove / distortion channel and I can adjust the level from the foot switch to more or less. Look for a footswitch on the effects and distortion as it beats bending over to hit a button on the amp to change channels.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

In the $200 price area, check out both the Vox AD30VT and the Roland Cube 30. Both are excellent, and they have a number of similar amp emulations.

I picked the Vox because it has a power output control which lets you vary the effective wattage from 1w to 30w, so you can get overdriven sounds even at low volume. That's important to me because I play at night when the kids are asleep ... ymmv.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hiya,

I have a Marshall MG30DFX, which runs in between £130 - £150, and the VOX AD30VT is next.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Consider the option of picking up a guitar port or Podxt if you have a high quality sound card and speakers in your computer.

They won't replace an amp - but they can let you try a lot of different sounds to figure out what you like. With the added bonus for the Podxt that when you do get an amp, you'll have a very good multi-effects pedal.

I have a home built amp that I love, but i mostly play through the computer since all my tabs get pulled up on screen and I'm usually playing backing tracks through the computer anyway.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

And the Vox amps have a tube in them! 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ulose0)
Topic starter  

thanks for everyones help, i think im going with the vox 30

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

BTW, welcome to guitarnoise, ulose0! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Enjoy the amp. I do love the way tubes sound vs digital :)

John M

ReplyQuote