Clear all

Making some progress

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I understand the fretboard, and what notes each fret of each string plays. That being said, I still need to find my root note sometimes and go forward. My site reading is picking up, but I'm finding it is a lot to do. Read note, find string, fret appropriately, all within a nano-second. (I really like in D. Hodges lessons how he has the measures above & the tab below) I have a few chords memorized. I want to have the fretboard down to make the learning the scales a little easier, which will also help me with the chords. (I understand that Cminor is 1 3b & 5, but since I'm not as familiar with the fretboard yet, 3b is still challenge.) I have a lot of the logic down, now I have a more work to do to apply it. Anyway, it's still fun and I'm progressing. I am currently working on D. Hodges "Heart of Gold" lesson. I can play the song to the point that it is recognizable, but I wouldn't call it good.

Anyway, to my question: When I am reading through some of the lessons and tabs, the words to song are written with the chords above. Does that signify that you only play that chord one strum, until the next chord is called out above the verse? That's my big dilemna for today. Thanks.

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

When I am reading through some of the lessons and tabs, the words to song are written with the chords above. Does that signify that you only play that chord one strum

No

It indicates where the lyrics are in relation to the chord changes. If the lyrics started above a C chord, you would begin singing on that chord. The next chord change indicates where you should be in the lyrics when you get to that chord.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So if there is only one chord above the lyrics, you would strum that chord for that entire verse? Or if there are two, you would strum to the chord change, and then strum the new chord to the end of the verse? Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Yes that is correct.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote