3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
Does anybody else use this book?

Initially I was quite keen on it as it got me moving, but after hitting his arrangement of Shenandoah- I have started struggling. Also its very sparse on instructional text and most text is more in a quick note form, and seem to bear little resemblance to the pieces that surround it.

I've moved over to the Hal Leonard series and got moving again.

Just wondering if this tally's with other people experience with the book/s

Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Nope...haven't seen it.

He put out a spiral-bound book called "Chord Cycles" at least 40 years ago that launched my career in jingles. No instructions in it...just page after page of cycles...and he placed them in an order that you could, basically, play from one cover to the other if you had a week!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. :shock:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I use Bay with most of my students.

It's not exactly designed to teach you how to play - it's really about how to read music in standard notation. Some things that are hard to read are pretty easy to play; some things that are pretty easy to read are hard to play. In book 1, Shenandoah is the hardest piece to play, because of the syncopation. (And in book 2, the hardest piece to play comes on page 9!)

As you've found, there's little explanatory text. But with a teacher to help get through things, it's a pretty good series.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote