Clear all

Metronomes

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I would like to know some things from those of you who use a metronome for practice.

1. What metronome do you use? [Brand & Model #]
2. What do you like like/dislike about it? [i.e. doesn't have headphone input...]
3. Do you use a computer software version?

The reason I ask this is because I have been using a software version on my comp and I decided I didn't like the clop sound it made so I went looking for other freeware versions. I found two or three I liked and for fun I had them all running at 120bpm to see if they kept in sync. To my utter astonishment they did not! Of the three I tried none of them matched each other. :shock:

This makes me wonder if the physical versions (like the Boss Dr. Beat) are significantly more accurate than their software counterparts.

I would just hate to spend all this time trying to develop timing with a device that cannot keep time itself! DOH! :(

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I use a qwik time QT-3 Quartz Metronome, but I don't use it that much, I don't like the ticking at all.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

Old wooden one with the pendulum. No batteries.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A PC is not deterministic - i.e. you can never guarantee exactly when a command will be forwarded and when a reply will be returned. That is compounded by people using languages like Java, which is useles for any deterministic applications, because Java doesn't understand interrupts and has no programmable priority flags (there are attempts at real-time Java, but they are not serious contenders).
You will never get the same accuracy as with a dedicated metronome, that uses a real-time chip and deterministic software.
In general, a PC is accurate enough that the average player won't notice that the software metronome is running slightly erratically.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@surfbluewavesbc)
Trusted Member

I really dont use one. But some keyboard pianos have one. I would probably go with Greybeards advice.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Boss DR-88.

The ability to do triplets and compound time signatures is really usefull for me

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm old fashioned... although I have digital ones, the one I use everyday is a mechanical Taktell - and it replaced a mechanical Seth Thomas that I wore out after 20 years or so.

I find mechanical ones faster to adjust, and I'm fine counting divisions/subdivisions on my own, so I don't need anything fancy. One of the schools I teach at outfits the studios with analog electic ones which are pretty nice - but I'll bet they're expensive.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I appreciate the responses. I've heard of the Qwik Time models. I'm also looking into a new metronome because the software version has annoying clop sound. Kinda grates the nerves after a while.

As for a mechanical one, didnt think of those but I'll certainly look into it.

Boss DR-88, now that sounds nice!

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

The mechanical ones have a more organic click which is much more pleasant to the ears imo. PLus they look better so you can use it as a decoration when your not playing.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

They definately look better. My Seth Thomas was in a walnut case, and looked great on the piano.

But whether the click sounds better or not depends on your ears... my wife hates the sound of my metronome, and actually bought a pair of those industrian earphones (like they wear on airport runways) that she puts on when I get the metronome out.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nuclearnipple)

I use the Taktell Super-Mini mechanical, its small enough to put in your gig bag, but still has the advantage of "no batteries". A warning about mechanical metronomes: DO NOT LET THEM "SIT" WITH TENSION ON THE SPRING - it will drastically shorten the life of the metronome. As such, if you wind it too much for the amount of practice you need to do, you will have to let the metronome wear itself out (and in that case, a pair of those tarmac headphones might not be so bad after all!!). That being said, I still prefer the mechanical ones.

"Let's give the boy a lift."
"What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country."
Dr. Gonzo & Raoul Duke

"And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man."
"You mean... beyond pacifism?"
The Dude & Walter Sobchak

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I use the one thats built into my panasonic brand keyboard. I know you deffinately dont want to go buy a whole other instrument just for the metronome. But, if you were thinkin' of getting a keyboard, I suggest getting one like the brand I have. Its also a drum machine and comes with 100 songs that you can practice soloing over. It also has a crap-load of other features that are a real help to any casual musician. Even if you dont play keyboard at all, its still worth it.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You will never get the same accuracy as with a dedicated metronome, that uses a real-time chip and deterministic software.
In general, a PC is accurate enough that the average player won't notice that the software metronome is running slightly erratically.

Well until I can get to the not-so-local GC I'll stick to my software metronome. I found one that sounds much better than my previous one.

Thanks all for the advice. I've been out of town forawhile and couldnt respond!

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Mine's a Korg MA-30 digital. It has all the features you could think of - volume, phone jack, tempo, different time signatures, visual and audio signals, pitch adjustment, tap input... but I don't really like it.
I much prefer a loopable software drum track or the built-in rhythm tracks of my keyboard.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Java, which is useles for any deterministic applicationsYou seem to have a stray "deterministic" in that snippet... :twisted:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2