Clear all

Minor pentatonic add9 scale

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am learning a scael which is called a minor pentatonic add9 scale, its starts with c so would i call it the c minor pentatonic add9 scale ?

I am trying to work out all the notes i am playing the scale looks like this:

E-----------------------------------------8---
B---------------------------------8-11-------
G----------------------7-8-10---------------
D---------------8-10-------------------------
A--------8-10--------------------------------
E-8-11---------------------------------------

This is how the notes run :

C, D#/Eb, F, G, A#/Bb, D, D#/Eb, F, G, A#/Bb, C

What i'm trying to work out is if i called the D#/Eb, D# or Eb and if you call the A#/Bb, A# or Bb ?

I have worked out that the C major scale is C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C. And as there is A, B, C and D in it that does not help me ? I think you would call thr D#/Eb, Eb as there is already a D in it, is that right ?

Please could someone show me how to work this out as i will need to work out the notes for other scales. Also i am i using scales properly i am i meant to learn how to play it and all the notes or is there some other way i am supposed to use them in my practice ?

Thanx in advance

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The notes you've written don't match what you've tabbed out. The tab shows C-D#/Eb-F-G-A#/Bb-C-D-D#/Eb-F-G-A#/Bb-C.

A couple of things... first, the general rule is you never have one letter used for two different notes if you can avoid it. Since your scale includes D (7th fret, 3rd string), the others will be Eb instead of D#.

Then, since you're using a flat, you wouldn't use sharps - it's rare for a scale to include both sharps and flats if it has less than 8 notes. There are a couple of exceptions in harmonic minor scales, but otherwise that's a good rule of thumb. So your guess is right, the notes are C-Eb-F-G-Bb-C-D-Eb-F-G-Bb-C.

Next, unless you've missed something, it's not a minor pentatonic add9 scale. If it were, you'd have the add9 (D) in every octave. Since it only appears once in two octaves, you've either left out the 10th fret of the 6th string, or you're using the D as a single decorative note - not really part of the scale.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote