Clear all

More fingering questions

14 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

What would be the proper way to finger the pull off and hammer on for this? The only way I can see is to place the fingers in the D chord and then add a G with the pinky then pull off all the fingers but the F#.

--2----2---2-3p2-0--0h2-----|
--3----3-----3---3--3---3---|
--2----2-----2---2--2-----2-|
--0----0--------------------|
----------------------------|
----------------------------|

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Here ya go

Form D - Strum 2x
Hold D - pick high E
Pinky on 3rd fret (Now Dsus) - pick and pull high E
Remove finger from high E (Now Asus) strum 2x
Hammer back on high E fret 2
Hold D - Pick B string
Hold D - Pick G string

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Slide high E to 3rd fret (Now Dsus) - pick and pull high E

But if I slide the F# to G then there won't be a F# to pull off too, or am I just confusing myself.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Slide high E to 3rd fret (Now Dsus) - pick and pull high E

But if I slide the F# to G then there won't be a F# to pull off too, or am I just confusing myself.
Good point. I missed the lack of space. Need to use the pinky on the 3rd fret and hold the D

NOTE: I revised the above so as not to confuse anyone

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I must have looked at that for 15-20 min last night trying to figure out how to hit it. The only thing I could figure was using the pinky. Thought maybe was a better or should I say a more proper way of fingering it.

Thanks Nils

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Your welcome. This sound pretty cool. What's it from?

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

It's from "Wanted Dead or Alive".

I was playing last night and I was lifting off the A, G & D note and just had the F# fingered as to keep the other strings from ringing.

Sorry about using notes instead of tab. I'm trying to learn standard notation and keyboard note position so I'm forcing myself to use it.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I should have recognized that but I am sure I was not playing it at the right speed so that's the excuse I will use for not recognizing it.

No problem on the notes. Prefer it that way myself just not sure how others want to hear it.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I should have recognized that but I am sure I was not playing it at the right speed so that's the excuse I will use for not recognizing it.

No problem on the notes. Prefer it that way myself just not sure how others want to hear it.

What, your crystal ball is in the shop being repaired again :lol:

I did post the tab and you were ever so kind as to use strings, hopefully everyone that read the thread will understand.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

D, Dsus4, Dsus2 is a very common thing. I know a bunch of songs that use it. Try "Free Falling" by Tom Petty for example.
Finger your D the standard way (index on G string, ring on B string and middle on the E string) Add pinky to 3rd fret for sus4, remove all fingers from the E string for sus2.
Another example is "Old man" Neal Young lesson by David Hodge.
Get used to this progression, like I said I see it come up alot.

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

D, Dsus4, Dsus2 is a very common thing. I know a bunch of songs that use it. Try "Free Falling" by Tom Petty for example.
Finger your D the standard way (index on G string, ring on B string and middle on the E string) Add pinky to 3rd fret for sus4, remove all fingers from the E string for sus2.
Another example is "Old man" Neal Young lesson by David Hodge.
Get used to this progression, like I said I see it come up alot.

It is also a frequently used "bridge" in country music, when moving from a D to an A chord, ...alternating mainly down mainly on 3rd string & up stokes on 1st string.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I can hit that pull off fairly good. Now I'm fighting the hammer on. I just can't seem to be able to hammer the F# hard enough while pulling the other fingers off to stop the ringing. Should I just leave the fingers planted?

Suggestions please.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

If you are playing Dead or Alive leave them planted. when you play that in tempo ringing is not an issue.
And about the hammer on. It is not how hard you hammer, in fact you can hammer very lightly, the speed your finger comes down is what makes a difference.
Think of it this way. you want the string on the fret before your finger has a chance to mute it.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

The notes aren't tied so I assumed they should be silenced. I've played it by letting them ring before and it just didn't sound right although it was a bit slower then it should have been.

Yeah, I used the wrong word(hard). I'm actually pretty good with H.O.'s and P.O.'s. Sometimes I will run scales or even grab say a one line riff and practice it with just hammers and pulls and no strumming hand at all.

ReplyQuote