Moving chords around...

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, all.

This basically relates to George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord"- it's one I've played for the last couple of years, but I've never known that pesky passing chord which leads out of the solo into the verse...however, I've worked it out in the key of Em. The chord's an Adim/D#- sorry, can't find a chord chart for it. My query is whether if I move it up two frets I'll be able to play it in the key of F#m- original key, as far as I know.

Thanks,

Shady

Take care,

Casey

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi, Shady, if by Adim/D# you mean an A diminished chord with D# as the bass note, then you'll be playing xx1212 - otherwise, for an A dim chord, you'd use the open A string as well.....x01212.

If that's the chord you're using in Em, and want to play it in F#m, there's no reason why you can't move either shape up two frets....either xx3434 for the Bdim/F, or x23434 for Bdim. You could even play Bdim/A, or to put it another way Bm7(b5), as x03434 with the open A string..... OR you could play it in Em, with either voicing of the Adim chord, and simply capo at the 2nd fret.

The Bm7(b5) is, I believe known as a half-diminished 7th - for a diminished 7th chord, you'd have to use the 6th of the scale rather than the flattened 7th. Or to put it another way, you're diminishing the flat 7th by a further semitone to a bb7....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Vic- I'm playing the high E open, though...makes me think I'm doing something slightly wrong. :)

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@roggercallen)

Thanks Vic- I'm playing the high E open, though...makes me think I'm doing something slightly wrong.

I'm actually having a problem with playing High E open at the moment.

-Rogger

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you're playing xx1210, that's not Adim... and whoever charted it got the chord name wrong, which adds to the confusion.

A dim 7 has the notes A-C-Eb-Gb - so the bass note is actually Eb, and it should be written as Aº/Eb (or Adim/Eb). If you're playing the first string open, that gives you xx1210, or D#-A-C-E (here I'm using D# because you don't use two of the same letter in a chord spelling, and you've already got an E on the 1st string). That would be Am (add#11).

I'd go with Vic's fingering, which is Adim, and it's moveable.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote