Clear all

Mute the string?

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 JOS
(@jos)
Topic starter  

Hi all, got a question on the the tab notation for Sweet Home Alabama. Do I mute the string in parantheses or what?

JOS
(@jos)
Topic starter  

Okay...well that picture didn't come out like I had hoped. Must be a better way, oh well, lol.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Even though I can't see it, I'll make a stab at an answer. I'm assuming the note in question is in parenthesis only in the TAB, correct? Usually that means it's tied over from the previous note. Notation will show this but most TAB software doesn't. Check the notation and if it's a tied note, then simply hold it until you play the next one.

Hope this helps (and I hope I'm right and apologies in advance if I'm not! :wink: )

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Here's your corrected image link:

This does not seem to be a tied note as David explained. I think the tab might be incorrect. I've got two guitarpro tabs of that song; one shows it this way, the other shows it as simple open notes. However, in the latter tab, those same notes do appear muted in other measures, but not in the intro. Try both ways and see which sounds better.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 JOS
(@jos)
Topic starter  

Thanks all. I was playing it "unmuted" as I'm not so great at muting strings yet and it sounded fine to me. Just wanted to learn the song as close to the original as possible.

slejhamer - your "corrected image link" shows up as the dreaded small white box with red "X" to me. I tried posting an image on my original post using the provided link and it showed up like something I've never seen here before, lol. Just curious...

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

slejhamer - your "corrected image link" shows up as the dreaded small white box with red "X" to me. I tried posting an image on my original post using the provided link and it showed up like something I've never seen here before, lol. Just curious...

Could be that the service where the image is hosted doesn't allow embedded image links, but I see it fine. Oh well, you know how it's supposed to look. :D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

Here's the full-sized image, converted from a 290K BMP to a 4K GIF for your viewing pleasure. :)

ReplyQuote
 JOS
(@jos)
Topic starter  

Since it seems this thread has ran it's course, I don't think anyone will mind if I change direction... :)

Pilot - how did you convert the image?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Since it seems this thread has ran it's course, I don't think anyone will mind if I change direction... :)

Pilot - how did you convert the image?
Pilot may use something different but I use IrfanView. Works good for viewing and converting and it's free. Just search on the name

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 JOS
(@jos)
Topic starter  

Oops, sorry Nils. I forgot to thank you for the link. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

And I'm sorry JOS, I just saw the thread again. :)

I use Paint Shop Pro from JASC as both my drawing program (almost as good as Photoshop, about 1/8th the price) and my image processor/converter. With a little practice and futzing around with different formats, you get pretty good at squishing and optimizing images for web use. :)

ReplyQuote
 JOS
(@jos)
Topic starter  

Thanks Pilot, I'll check it out.

And after bumbling around inside Guitar Pro, I noticed a "button" to put a note in parantheses () and it's called a ghost note, at least that's what Guitar Pro calls it. So...what's a ghost note and how is it played? :)

ReplyQuote