Clear all

My finger tips...

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

my three main finger tips are starting to get rough and hard, does this mean im progressing nicely in breaking them in? doesnt hurt anymore either when i press down on the strings.

My little finger still needs more work on in, in fact, it has had hardly none at all so i need to start working on that one.

SLODOGG62

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

your doing great.....beware the shower now :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@electric-gypsy)

It means you're doing good. Keep going on with it as long as it doesn't hurt too much. And yes, try to get your pinky to work out a bit, it'll turn out to be very helpful. If you're up for it, try some hammer-ons/pull-offs, they'll help strengthen your fingers. I don't know when you started, so you might want to leave that for a bit later, just some advice in advance :wink: .

And yes, you definitely want to avoid never ending showers now... :P

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

beware the shower now

..Why what happens?

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Also beware of prolonged dishwashing. It's Platex Living Gloves for you from now on. Soaking your hands in hot water will soften up your calluses.

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Also beware of prolonged dishwashing. It's Platex Living Gloves for you from now on. Soaking your hands in hot water will soften up your calluses.
l
Thank God for the dishwashers !! LOL

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

My little finger still needs more work on in, in fact, it has had hardly none at all so i need to start working on that one.

Barre Chords will fix that little pinkie finger right up :D

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

aaah........showers!

basically.....when your forming the hard pads......its the bodies way of protecting itself from damage by thickening the skin layers...it happens to everyone on the feet :shock:

trouble comes when you add water....the thick skin is dead tissue so it is bone dry and just like a sponge..... it soaks up the water and becomes very soft and supple.....there lies the problem.....if you go near the guitar with these softened pads they will be rubbed off and your back to square one (well almost) :evil:

over time these pads will develop deeper and deeper and it will become less of a problem....but you MUST play everyday to keep them in shape :roll:

some people swear by things like white spirit and i've heard tales of superglue being used on the fingers (DANGEROUS) to help harden them....but its best to just let it happen naturally and keep playing :lol:

hope this helps 8)

Drool

ReplyQuote
(@stringslinger)

hard fingers are a good sign. The more you play, the harder they will get.

Actually, I wash dishes everyday, and love showers (though not long ones). I've never had a problem because of washing dishes etc... I routinely play after having just washed dishes. Could be because I've played so long, and finger excercises are my speciallty. However when I was just starting out, I never washed dishes, cause I was a kid. To me, the worse thing you can do , is stop practicing, that'll make them soften up quicker than anything. To get super hard fingers practice alot of bends, and legato (hammer on pull-off combinations). Even tapping works well, especially to train both sets of fingers at once.

If you haven't gotten it, I recommend John Petrucci's Rock Discipline for great finger excercises and also Vinnie Moore's, Modes no mytery, I think it has alot of good excercises too (very doable and basic, but exttremely important). Also his treatment of modes is the best I've ever heard.

Brian

ReplyQuote
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

I was making a birthday card the other day and super glued my fingers to the card by accident.

Hurt like hell to pull off, so i wudn't recommend super glue anywhere near anything else :P

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

I was making a birthday card the other day and super glued my fingers to the card by accident.

Hurt like hell to pull off, so i wudn't recommend super glue anywhere near anything else :P

hehe...i did say it was dangerous :lol: :lol: 8)

Drool

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Callouses are a guitar player's badge of honor. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@colonel)
Eminent Member

Barre Chords will fix that little pinkie finger right up :D

Amen brother! My teacher started me right off on barre chords and I believe I could stick a pin in my pinkie and ring finger right now and not feel a thing.

Leadership is based on inspiration, not domination; on cooperation, not intimidation.

-- William Arthur Wood

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

Callouses are a guitar player's badge of honor. 8)
:twisted:

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

:roll:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2