Notifications
Clear all

My FIRST Guitar, now what do I do??

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sparta)
Topic starter  

Just purchased a new entry level guitar (Oscar Schmidt OE-30 Delta King) and I don't have any experience. I understand there are various style of playing and I don't know what to look into; finger picking, flat picking/strumming etc.

I'd like a quality DVD to show me how to get started, but I don't know what DVD lessons to look into. I'm primarily looking into light rock songs, modern country, folk and bluegrass and praise/worship. Not sure if that is finger picking or flat pick strumming. I see both.

I play three-finger style (picking) banjo, but I understand you don't "pick" guitar strings in the same manner.

Where do I begin with this??????

-S

Washburn B160 banjo/Oscar Schmidt OE-30 Delta King

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I may not be the one to ask, but I would start with a pick. Once you get a little skill under your belt, give fingerpicking a try. You probably have a leg up on finger picking from the Banjo playing, so starting with a pick will show you a diferent style. Once you get a little skill, you will be able to make a more informed choice.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I don't know whether you fingerpick differently on Scruggs-style banjo. Assuming you're used to using metal fingerpicks, that should make for a graceful transition to guitar.

Fingerpick vs. flatpick: I've been arrogant in the past about the superiority of fingerpicking, but now I think there is value in learning some of both styles. If you find yourself drawn to one more than the other as time goes by, no problem. Try them both. (Try everything!)

Stylistic issues aside, I highly recommend playing along with the radio, the teevee, CDs, whatever. Books and DVDs will help, but just jamming with your media can be instructive, especially when iTunes and YouTube can pump any kind of music you want straight into your living room.

These forums are a great resource, so you're in the right place if you need help down the road. Welcome!

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@apparition)
Trusted Member

I wouldn't start off by learning from a DVD or YouTube. Check out different guitar teachers in your area. A guitar instructor can customize lessons to fit the style best fitted to the genera you like. A DVD can't do that.

ReplyQuote