Notifications
Clear all

Nail strength?

29 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@sleepingtodream)
Topic starter  

I'm having a hard time with my nails. I've been trying to grow them out on my right hand for finger picking, but they keep breaking off as they are so fragile. I've tried using a couple of nail strengtheners, but they haven't worked in the slightest. (Don't remember the names, I apologise.)

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do to correct it, or did you?
I know about those fingerplectrums or whatever, but they don't feel right.

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Have you looked into these? http://www.alaskapik.com
There's a part of the pick that the nail fits over, keeping the nail itself from contacting the string. They take a little getting used to, but I think they have more options as far as fit and the length/shape of the actual pick.
They got an overall 9.22 for 23 reviews on Musician's Friend, which is where I bought mine. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Accessories?sku=110630

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

over at the pedal steel forum many players post similar problems.
the solutions are varied...
from glue on nails, to nail polish..
no one seems to think abou the season as a factor.
up north it's dry in the winter. my nails are brittle.
they dont grow very fast either.
come summer they grow like mad...it's the humidity.
also they tend not to be so brittle.
besides the humidity difference what else could be a factor.

one could be diet.
my diet changes from season to season.
Iwonder what foods would be good for nail building.
since nails, like hair, is protien based perhaps folic acid based foods, calicum based foods things like that miht strengthen them.

my two cents.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Those look really interesting, Doug! I think I might just have to give them a try. How do you like yours? And, did you get the brass or plastic?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Elecktra - didn't you once recommend something used on horses hooves to me? I have a similar problem - the nails on my right hand, which I want to grow, break easily - but the nails on my left hand, which I like as short as possible, are as hard as - er, nails....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yes, I did, Vic! It's the cream that they use on horses hooves to keep them from cracking. There are lots of different brands and you can usually find it at tack shops or feed stores. I occasionally see a version of it in drug stores or WalMart, but, I prefer to go to the feed store! I know I'm getting EXACTLY what I want!

AND.... if you want to soften REALLY dry, cracked skin, use udder cream. Just as you're thinking, it's rubbed on cows udders for the same reason. Great stuff! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@sleepingtodream)
Topic starter  

AND.... if you want to soften REALLY dry, cracked skin, use udder cream. Just as you're thinking, it's rubbed on cows udders for the same reason. Great stuff! :D

Who thought up to put teet cream on their nails?

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Who thought up to put teet cream on their nails?

NO!!! Hoof cream for nails........ udder cream for skin!!!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm trying to resist the temptation to say "that's an udder story" - I think I've fought it off.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Nice side step, Vic! :D LOL!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I guess I am odd. I dont like fingerpicking with my nails. I prefer all my nails short and I pick with the small bit of fatty flesh on the side of my thumb and top of my fingers. When my thumb nail gets a little long it bothers me cause it hangs on the strings.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I'm trying to resist the temptation to say "that's an udder story" - I think I've fought it off.....

Personally, I think you're trying to milk it for all it's worth. :P

Back on topic, I'm actually just trying to grow my nails for the first time - long nail-biting habit :oops: - so this thread will be some help if/when I actually grow some. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Those look really interesting, Doug! I think I might just have to give them a try. How do you like yours? And, did you get the brass or plastic?I went with several sizes of the plastic ones, just to get an idea of how they fit. One of the reviewers at Musician's Friend said they fly off easily, but I found them pretty snug, sometimes almost uncomfortably so. I've left mine "as is," without trimming the pick part in any way.
And I remember seeing magazine ads for Knox Gelatin being a treatment for brittle nails. (I think it's made from powdered hooves, so . . . ) I don't know if you were supposed to drink it, soak yer fingers in it, or what. :P
"Bag Balm" is one brand name for "the udder stuff." Comes in a square green tin.

I am such a storehouse of trivial information. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Not odd Geoo. I don't like my nails on my picking hand to grow too long either. Looking down at my palm, the top of my nails can just barely be seen over my finger tip. I use my fingertip and my nail to pluck each string. When my thumb nail gets too long it gets caught up on the strings like Geoo said, and I hate that! Anyway, if you want your nails to get stronger, first of all diet is important as someone else had said. I also try to never clip my nails but rather file them often to keep the right length. To me it seems cutting them is very traumatic to the nail and weakens it - this isn't scientific here but I usually get hang nails shortly after I have clipped them.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@sleepingtodream)
Topic starter  

NO!!! Hoof cream for nails........ udder cream for skin!!!

Does the hoof cream actually work? The nail strengthener only made my nails look girly. :oops:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2