Clear all

Need help on song.

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey this is my first post here. I've been "playing" my guitar now for 4 months and I've been trying to play "Rape Me" by Nirvana using tablature I find on the internet but after strumming the opeing notes I cant get it to sound like on the album. Im still dont understand how to tune my guitar down to suit specific songs so I know this is a major problem.

Im also stuck on the verse. If there's anybody here that knows this song that could help me and give me some tips on how I should set my amplifier. I turn on overdrive for every song I try to play and as far as the other funcitons go I just turn them all up to 10.

(@sunsetncnja)
Trusted Member

I don't have the CD handy but I think the song is in standard tuning, so you wouldn't have to tune down. I remember the verse being the same basic chords and rythym as the intro, but you're playing arpeggios (single notes of the chord) instead of strumming it.

As for settings, intro and verse have a cleaner tone and the chorus is when he kicks in the over the top distortion. So I'd hold the overdrive until the chorus. I wouldn't keep every function at 10 for any song. For nirvana, I think you want more treble with the bass somewhere in the middle and the mid maybe somewhere just below the level of the treble. Can't say for sure because amps sound different.

That used to be one of my favorite songs to play, but I say again that I'm going off memory, so if I've got anything wrong everybody feel free to correct.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I am not sure of the tuning of that song, but the easiest/quickest way to changing tunings on your guitar is to get a chromatic tuner. Thats what I use - its easy quick and self explanitory.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well either way I've already arranged the song myself so it sounds good enough and memorized it, not bad for my first song.

Thanks for the help. Where would I get a chromatic tuner, it's not one of those things I can download is it?

Does playing arpeggios mean I pick each note individualy because for the intro that's what I've been doing and it sounds nothing like the actual song.

ReplyQuote
(@sunsetncnja)
Trusted Member

Yes, you basically play each note of the chord individually, but that's how you play the chorus. The intro is strummed.

ReplyQuote
(@rotten)
Eminent Member

unless you have the exact same equipment in the exact same studio with the exact same musicians, you'll never sound exactly like the album. just make it identifiable, or find a live acoustic version and the tab from that. g/l.

Dirty Rotten

"You gona bark all day little doggy? Or are you gona bite?"

ReplyQuote