Clear all

New Acoustic Electric

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I want to buy a acoustic electric and want any ideas anybody has. I'm looking for somthing under 400 dollars. I've looked at a few Ibanez's and want to know if anybody here has one.

bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member

I could be completely off. This is just what I was told, I was considering getting an acoustic electric for under $400.00 too.

Make sure you REALLY want an acoustic/electric. I was told that most people that have one don't use it amped unless they play for a church or have some other reason specifically in mind before purchasing one.

Additionally, I was told that most acoustic electrics, are not comparable in quality to the same priced non electric acoustics. The reason being that the price of the electronics in the guitar force the manufacturer to use a lower end guitar. Basically if you were buying a $400.00 acoustic/electric, a non electric of the same price would be better quality. I figure I could always buy a sound hole pickup for a little more money and have a great guitar too.

It made sense to me. Take it for what it's worth. In the end I bought a nonelectric acoustic and have been very happy with it. It's a Yamaha FG730S.

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I bought an a/e, even though I only play at home, as I love how the amplified sound fills the room. (Plus I'm running my electric through the amp via a Pandora, so I can justify that purchase. ;) ) Also it makes recording yourself a little easier if you don't have a microphone.

I picked a Yamaha too, the FGX-04 Limited, which is very similar to Bohh's FG730S - solid spruce top, rosewood back and sides, etc. Of course, it also has the pickup and preamp. The electronics are "okay." I have to roll off the highs because they are a little harsh; I've also installed mellower strings as a result. But overall it was the best playing, feeling, sounding of the a/e guitars I tried in the under-$400 category.

But even though I'm happy with it, I'd second Bohh's advice - if you don't "need" an a/e, consider the cost of a decent acoustic amp and perhaps spend a little more on a plain acoustic instead.

Last, if you do go the a/e route, shop around for a used Ovation Balladeer. You might find one close to your price range or a little higher. I played one the other day and thought it was amazing - great neck, low action, nice acoustic tone and GREAT amplified tone.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@soju04)
Eminent Member

I have this setup.

Ibanez AEG10EBK
Crate Cimmaron Amp

The Ibanez is a nice little guitar but is sounds so much better with the amp, it's just not very loud without it.

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member

I want to buy a acoustic electric and want any ideas anybody has. I'm looking for somthing under 400 dollars. I've looked at a few Ibanez's and want to know if anybody here has one.
I have an Epiphone PR5-E and I love it. I don't plug it in often (but am glad when i do) but what I REALLY love is it plays like en electric... i.e. easy :lol: The street price is $299 without a case.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Alvarez makes nice affordable solid top acoustic electrics. I've got one and it's a great guitar.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

somebody's got GAS :lol:

ReplyQuote