Notifications
Clear all

New and keen to learn......

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dimedevlin)
Topic starter  

Hey Ive just got my electric guitar last week with a small amp just to learn on :) I know very little about anything to do with guitars other than I want to blast out some heavy metal style riffs!

One song in particular I want to learn is "Walk" by Pantera, played by an idol of mine and the reason i decided to try learn guitar in the first place 'Dimebag Darrel' absolute legend! and still influencing a lot of people I might add.

Ive started learning basic chords and trying to change them up as quickly as possible, this is the only stage ive got to, anyone know how to go about learning "walk"??

Hope someone can help thanks, and R.I.P Dime.

(@alangreen)

My advice is to keep on going the way you are.

So you learn the riff to "Walk." What then? You have a very long way to go to get to Dimebag's level of dexterity with the soloing he used to do - don't forget he was banned from entering guitar competitions at a stupidly young age because he was winning them all - and you need to build up to it.

Keep the Dimebag stuff as a "What I'm aiming for" and keep on hitting the easier stuff for now. There's nothing that puts people off playing guitar more than trying to play something that's too hard for them - we've all lost students to that one (the one I lost to it even broke down in tears in the lesson.)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

100+ to Alan's advice. The only thing I could add would be to get yourself a metronome. It will go a long way in helping you reach your goal(s). Start off at a slow pace and work your way up to the DBD level. Here's a link to an online version.

Online Metronome

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@dimedevlin)
Topic starter  

My advice is to keep on going the way you are.

So you learn the riff to "Walk." What then? You have a very long way to go to get to Dimebag's level of dexterity with the soloing he used to do - don't forget he was banned from entering guitar competitions at a stupidly young age because he was winning them all - and you need to build up to it.

Keep the Dimebag stuff as a "What I'm aiming for" and keep on hitting the easier stuff for now. There's nothing that puts people off playing guitar more than trying to play something that's too hard for them - we've all lost students to that one (the one I lost to it even broke down in tears in the lesson.)

Well im not going to just learn walk then quit! Surley learning a tune that i love will help my guitar playing, ill still be learning chords etc. Ok if walk is too advanced for me what basic tunes can I learn now? I cant play anything yet and there seems to be a severe lack of teachers in my area :(

ReplyQuote