Notifications
Clear all

New Guitar!!!!

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rtaz23)
Topic starter  

Just started playing about 6 months ago. I have the Fender Squier Strat Pak and now that I am getting better I don't like the sound the guitar puts out. I am thinking about getting the Epiphone g-400. They say you can't tell this guitar and a Gibson SG apart. Is that true? Does anyone have this guitar? How do you think it measures up? I like to play anything from Metallica to Buddy Holly. Thanks for your opinions.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There's a current discussion on the G-400 Custom in this forum section:

G-400 Custom

Not exactly the same, but probably close enough.

The main appearance difference between the Epi G-400 and Gibson SG is in the slightly different headstocks.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the Musical Madhouse!

Check for user reviews at Harmony Central.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

and if you dont like humbuckers(just suggesting) a fender standard stratocaster(buddy holly used a strat:wink: ) is probably the best all single coil guitar for that price range. Thats just my opinion 8) .

P.S. a humbucker is a type of pickup. its on the epiphone, and a single coil is on the strat. Hope that helps.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

i just bought a g400. its a great guitar for the money..
but it isnt correct that you cant tell it from a real gibson.
the headstock, bodyshape and placement of the knobs are different.
but it does have a set neck.
but its very very alike, and can easily be mistaken for a gibby if your not
looking too hard. . the cherry red is beutiful, the action is nice
(get the guitar-shop guy too throw in a setup and a set of strings in the price, of course:D )
the output of the humbuckers are quite satisfactory, althrough i havent
tried it on a giant marshall stack yet, it sound good through all the amps
ive tried it with.
It has got a very "humbucker" sound, that is much fatter than the strat tone, so try before you buy. the shorter scale is also a bit tricky the first hour. Just make sure you go over it fully, and check for fckups, as ive heard bad things about the quality control at epiphone.
oh, the tuners are grovers that do the job very satisfactory.

the only problem ive had with mine in the last three weeks, is
that the pots very badly (not) tightened and came loose. tightened them down, no problem now.
take my description lightly , as i am in love.
always try before you buy.

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

You can also make an inexpensive improvement to the guitar if you want to take time to shop your next guitar.

I put a Carvin twin-blade pickup in my first electric (johnson) and it made a big difference for the better.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@rtaz23)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the advice. I'm pumped that I found this site.

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

I would just warn you, Epiphone do seem to have a quality control problem. Of the ones I've come across, they have been very poorly built, and some have had serious faults. This is by no means true of all of their guitars, but it is an issue that you need to give real consideration to.

I think the real porblem is their quality control. It would seem that although many of their instruments are fine, the bad ones do get through their quality control.

So It's quite important to check the guitar thouroughly before buying. Check the machine heads (Tuners), the tone/volume controls (Make sure that they work properly, and that there are no crackles or anything) in the pickup switch seems to be particularly delicate (flick it several times, check that it works ok etc).

I know this all seems a bit excessive for a new instrument, but from past experience with Epi SG's, it's really important. If you do find any problems with it after you buy, take it back to the shop, and ask for a replacement or repair.

I'm really not saying that epiphones are bad guitars, but I just wanted to warn you about this.
Maybe you should look at a couple of alternatives before definately deciding on the SG. Try looking at Yamaha's and Ibanez, these are very well made guitars, and have a very good tone. Actually, Yamaha make an SG type guitar (the Yamaha SG 700 I think it's called). Might be worth a look if it's an SG your after

Just a few thoughts.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

English one, the same about checking all that stuff is true for any brand. Actually, I've seen more problems recently with Gibsons than with Epis.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote