12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi there,

My new Steinman strings 10's have arrived. I will attempt to string the guitar myself but I need a little help from you guys as I don't want any costly mistakes... :wink: At the bridge I can put the strings in at the correct place but at the neck end of the guitar where you thread the end of the string through the little hole, how much of the string are you supposed to put through?

Thank in advance.

Jay1
(@jay1)
Trusted Member

Have a look at this mate. Good little video lessons including a restringing one

http://www.expertvillage.com/interviews/guitar-setup-maintenance.htm

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks alot, I'll take a look in a while. I have just strung my semi-acoustic... :D ...can't say I've done a perfect job, in fact I can't say I've done a good job but I messed two strings up so it's a good job I got two packs of three!!!.

I'll watch the stringing lesson and pick up some more tips. Some of the strings on the fret head look a little too close for comfort but at least I managed to do it and it's in tune.

Do you folks use pliers / scissors to cut the string at the fret head end after you've replaced the strings?

Catch yer later.

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm
Found this very helpful. My guitar stays well in tune. yes, i clip off the excess part of the strings using pliers.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Do you folks use pliers / scissors to cut the string at the fret head end after you've replaced the strings?

I sure do. I pull the string through and around, tighten it up, then clip off all but 1/4" or so of the excess. One problem I've had lately is the high E string slipping off the tuning peg as I tighten it, so I have taken to looping the string around the peg twice before threading it through the hole. Seems to help.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I sure do. I pull the string through and around, tighten it up, then clip off all but 1/4" or so of the excess. One problem I've had lately is the high E string slipping off the tuning peg as I tighten it, so I have taken to looping the string around the peg twice before threading it through the hole. Seems to help.

Ah OK,

Thats a good tip to loop the string round the peg first, then put it through the hole...I'll try that next time.

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Jay,

Good video, I can see the room for improvement. Firstly I don't think I pulled enough string through the hole so have too much rapped around the peg. No real problem but just an area to improve next time. In the vid the guitar tech guy had some sort of workstation to put his guitar into while he changed the string, do you folks have these? - If not what do you use? - a table maybe? - At the moment I don't have any pliers so could you mention which type you need? - Then I can go to the hardware store and get them.

This forum is the tops!!! learning at a good pace now... :D ...Thanks

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I can really feel a difference with these 10's though I have some hardish skin from the previous ones. Having lighter strings may mean I will be able to practice for longer. With the previos strings I'd practice until the pain got to me a little. I don't want to sound like a wimp... :) ...but thats how it was and as a result the fingers became tougher at the tips.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Hi there,

My new Steinman strings 10's have arrived. I will attempt to string the guitar myself but I need a little help from you guys as I don't want any costly mistakes... :wink: At the bridge I can put the strings in at the correct place but at the neck end of the guitar where you thread the end of the string through the little hole, how much of the string are you supposed to put through?

Thank in advance.

I suggest that you put the string thru the hole then do the first wrap above, and subsequent wraps below the string, this will pinch the string between itself and hold it tighter. Three wraps should be plenty.

Eric

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I use wire cutters.

There are also tools sold specifically for the purpose of cutting guitar strings, but regular wire cutters work just fine.

There's also a fancier version of that tool, with a built-in tuner. Of course, it costs more.
In the vid the guitar tech guy had some sort of workstation to put his guitar into while he changed the string, do you folks have these?
I just use a table (coffee table, kitchen table, pool table - whatever's convenient) with an old (but clean) towel on it to cushion the guitar.
Those stands are more for repairs, but if you want to spend the money on one...

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I use wire cutters also to cu tthe strings and sometimes i just leave them with the extra string at the top...

As for tables etc., I've never needed one I just hold the guitar in my lap and change the strings.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I recently restrung my guitar... my previous stringing I decided I'd drop back down to lighter strings, just to see if my playing improved from the so called 'easier to play' factor of light strings... nope, not much of a difference, the real crazy part is I bought two identical packs of light strings, I guess it musta been a store special... Anyway, I just recently restrung with some 12's, and man I love it, I know without a doubt that I like heavier gauge strings now, I don't think I could put on 13's without adjusting the nut for big E though.

But the point of this post, I braided the excess strings when I was done, it kind of just looked like my strings had a mohawk, I didn't have a good way to insure that the strings would stay braided though so I clipped them after a few minutes of wondering if anyone else had braided their excess guitar string (I assume thousands have). In the end it just looked kind of dumb... but maybe if I had some black electrical tape I coulda taped the ends.

ReplyQuote