Clear all

Open to barre changes

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I can change from open to barre chords, the problem I'm having especially open c to barre f is when landing the barre finger it obviously mutes the strings that are ringing from the c and just doesn't blend in it just sounds like a out of tune clunk. I worked a couple of months ago on increaseing the speed of this change and although I increased the speed I haven't improved the sound. When changing from c to f I keep my ring finger anchored on the A string fretting a C so I'm only resetting 3 fingers. Any one got any tips how I might go about cleaning up the change?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

(@rpcruab)
Eminent Member

play the change over and over again and watch what you are doing with your hands and fingers. There is really no "trick" that will make everything that much easier. Muscle memory will start to increase in your fingers. Thats just my take on the situation. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you could try the thumb over style. the F is easy to nail and the thumb can fill out the low bass sound.
otherwise, like anything, it's practice.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You say when you change from the F chord to the C chord you keep your ring finger on the A string. This is ok, but not completely necessary.

One thing you have to realize when playing guitar is that between chord changes you often stroke all six strings open. I believe this is an A11 chord.

C A11 F

e--0-----0--0--1-----1---
b--1-----1--0--1-----1---
g--0-----0--0--2-----2---
d--2-----2--0--3-----3---
a--3-----3--0--3-----3---
e-----------0--1-----1---
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
d d u d d

You may not realize this, but all guitar players hit open strings like this between chord changes. You are so used to hearing it that you don't actually hear it. You don't always hit all six strings open, you may only hit five, four, three or even less. But it is a common technique. It simply buys a little time for your fretting hand to change chords.

Try strumming the chord change I showed above. I bet you cannot even hear the A11 chord. It is one of those chords that seems to go with all chords. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good point Wes. very often I let go of my fretting hand completely between chord changes. I let the open strings ring out.
it gives me time to nail the next position, the sound is nice and natural to the ear, and Pete Townsend does it a lot.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

You say when you change from the F chord to the C chord you keep your ring finger on the A string. This is ok, but not completely necessary.

One thing you have to realize when playing guitar is that between chord changes you often stroke all six strings open. I believe this is an A11 chord....
You may not realize this, but all guitar players hit open strings like this between chord changes. You are so used to hearing it that you don't actually hear it. You don't always hit all six strings open, you may only hit five, four, three or even less. But it is a common technique. It simply buys a little time for your fretting hand to change chords.

+1 Great response. That is something that you will need to practice as well. Strumming takes alot of practice. And, as Wes stated, it's a great technique.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for everyones input. Wes I'm putting into practice catching a couple of open strings on the up strum before the change and it sounds better already thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

+2 Wes's comments......

and, although I've not really thought about that open strings chord much before, it is really quite ambiguous. The notes give you little chunks of so many others chords (e.g. E,G,B give you Eminor, but the D and A strings suggest a D chord, while the A and E suggest an A chord, and so on). That's probably why it works so well.

One other thing you could try in some situations is a classic Hendrix trick, but really simple to do. If you're changing between two chords where some of your fingers don't have to change, you can strum the strings those fingers are fretting for e.g. one beat, while you get the rest of your hand on the new chord, then play that new chord fully. Despite the common perception of Hendrix as a lead guitarist (which he was, admiitedly, bloody ace at), he was quite the top-notch rhythm guitarist, too. If you can incorporate that trick into some of your playing, it can open up your rhythm playing and help you get a more fluid style going.

hth

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

OK, so I've been concentrating hard not do strike open between chord changes. Guess that wasn't toally needed. Thanks for the info.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

OK, so I've been concentrating hard not do strike open between chord changes. Guess that wasn't toally needed. Thanks for the info.

I'm just the opposite. I use the open strum almost all the time. It's jus the way I play, I never really thought about it.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm just the opposite. I use the open strum almost all the time. It's jus the way I play, I never really thought about it.

Bad on me. I caught myself doing it months ago and have been trying o stop. I think I'll continue, but add some Scrybe and Wes to the mix.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote