Order of learning

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello All,

About a week into the guitar now and still plodding along, singing to the sounds of buzzing notes and muted strings! How long does it take to be able to put your fingers down for a chord without thinking about each finger and getting a clean sound?

Right, to the main question. What is the order that things shoud be learned on the guitar? Obviously i know you are not meant to praticing only chords for 6mths then move on to scales for another 6 then on to something else, but there must be some kind of general order of topics that is good to follow.

For example
1 - Major chords
2 - Major scales
3 - Pentatonics etc.

Also is there an order within these, ie is there an order to learn chords in, easier ones first, to help with left hand co-ordination etc?

Thanks.
Mart.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There's no one order that works best for everyone. Most people start with chords, but if I have a beginner with small hands, or someone who's already capable on another instrument, we start with single notes.

I'd learn related chords - the I, IV, and V in the keys you're working with. What keys those will be hinges a bit on your music - if you're doing bluegrass, you'll play in G a lot; for rock and blues, A and E. I tend to leave the key of C for last (among the open position chords) because the F chord introduces new challenges.

So, learn from these sets:

G-C-D7
D-G-A7
A-D-E7
E-A-B7
C-F-G7
Em-Am-B7
Am-Dm-E7

When you have all those down, you're ready to start moving beyond the open position... the Bm chord is a nice starting point for the next set :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Cool, thanks.

What is it about the sets of chords you mentioned make them good to practise together? ie why did you groups them like you did?

Thanks.
Mart.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Cool, thanks.

What is it about the sets of chords you mentioned make them good to practise together? ie why did you groups them like you did?

Thanks.
Mart.

Each set of 3 are the primary chords (I, IV and V) of a particular key.

In the key of G major, G is the I, C is the IV and D7 is the V.

G-C-D7
D-G-A7 key= D major
A-D-E7 key= A major
E-A-B7 key= E major
C-F-G7 key = C major

The next two are slightly different, as they are minor and the chords are i, iv and V:

Em-Am-B7 key= E minor
Am-Dm-E7 key= A minor

However, minor keys are more complex than major keys and you will usually make use of more chords than the primary 3.

In E minor, G, C and especially D will be important. F#dim may be used.

In A minor, C, F and especially G will be important. Bdim may be used.

Here's a complete chart of the notes in each key:
Key Minor Signature 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C major A minor C D E F G A B
G major E minor # G A B C D E F#
D major B minor ## D E F# G A B C#
A major F# minor ### A B C# D E F# G#
E major C# minor #### E F# G# A B C# D#
B major G# minor ##### B C# D# E F# G# A#
F# major D# minor ###### F# G# A# B C# D# E#
F major D minor b F G A Bb C D E
Bb major G minor bb Bb C D Eb F G A
Eb major C minor bbb Eb F G Ab Bb C D
Ab major F minor bbbb Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
Db major Bb minor bbbbb Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C
Gb major Eb minor bbbbbb Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, that's a little heavy, but i'm slowly getting there.

Why I, IV, V and not I, III, V like the positions of notes from their major scale? Is there an article that would explain this?

Thanks.
Mart.

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Incognito,

Seems like you know alot more then I did after my first week... or month. And for that matter, more then some "professionals" who only play by ear and know no music theory what so ever.

To answer your question in the most simple way, the answer is: it wouldn't sound right. Why? ...

Without trying to confuse you too much with music theory stuff... all major keys have the same pattern from first position on through. That is
major, minor, minor, major, major, minor, diminished. If you can remember that pattern, you'll never mix up a major chord for a minor or a minor for a major regardless of what major key you are playing in. For example...

KEY of C Major:

7 Tones in the Key: C,D,E,F,G,A,B (I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii-dim)
3 Primary Chords: C, F, G (I, IV, V)
3 Secondary Chords: Dm, Em, Am (ii, iii, vi)
Dominant 7th Chord: G7 (V7)

Scale Step - Root - 3rd - 5th - Chord Type

I - C - E - G - Major
II - D - F - A - Minor
III - E - G - B - Minor
IV - F - A - C - Major
V - G - B - D - Major
VI - A - C - E - Minor
VII - B - D - F - Diminished

So in the Key of C as shown above the...

I is C and is C major
II is D and would be D minor
III is E and would be Em
IV is F and would be F major
V is G and would be G major
VI is A and would be A minor
VII is B and would be B diminished

So when you listen to CCR "Down on the Corner" which is in the Key of C, you play C, F & G... I, IV, V. If there was an D, E or A in the song played in that key, though there is not, they would have to be D minor, E minor and A minor.

All minor Keys follow their own pattern too, which is minor, diminished, major, minor, minor, major, major. For example...

KEY of A Minor:

7 Tones in the Key: A, B, C, D, E, F, G (i, ii-dim, IIII, iv, iv, VI, VII)
3 Primary Chords: Am, Dm, Em (i, iv, v)
3 Secondary Chords: C, F, G ( III, VI, VII)
Dominant 7th Chord: E7 (V7)

Scale Step - Root - 3rd - 5th - Chord Type

I - A - C - E - Minor
II - B - D - F - Diminished
III - C - E - G - Major
IV - D - F - A - Minor
V - E - G - B - Minor
VI - F - A - C - Major
VII - G - B - D - Major

So in the Key of Am as shown above...

I is A and is A minor
II is B and is B diminished
III is C and is C major
IV is D and is D minor
V is minor and is E minor
VI is major and is F major
VII is major and is G major

When you listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd "Simple Man" (while it's tuned down a half a step if you listen to the original recording) it's "played" like it is in the Key of Am, and the only three chords in the song are Am, C & G. .. i, III, VII. If the was a D or an E in the song, (which there is not) in that key they would have to be D minor and E minor. If there was an F in the song (though there is not) it would have to be an F major in that key.

This can be useful when trying to figure out a song that you are wanting to play, where you got one or two of the chords but not sure what the others are. Also useful when putting chords to lyrics that you wrote.

The more you see how other songs are layed out, the more you will recognize what's going on. But don't knock yourself out at this point on music theory. Right now spend more time on developing the motor skills for your fingers.

If you want my whole reference file that has all the major and minor keys, not just the Am and C major above... I have them on Microsoft Word and could e-mail them to you. I could also convert then to a PDF file if need be.

[email protected]

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

OK, that's a little heavy, but i'm slowly getting there.

Why I, IV, V and not I, III, V like the positions of notes from their major scale? Is there an article that would explain this?

Thanks.
Mart.

A very large percentage of songs are based on the chord pattern called I-IV-V. Just play those 3 chords, and you'll be able to play 100s of songs.

And songs are what you want to be learning. Learn the chords and scales and other stuff as it relates to playing songs.

If you go to the Home Page, you can click on "Easy Songs for Beginners" which will set you on the right path...

Have Fun!

-Laz

ReplyQuote