Clear all

Picking Hand Position

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I haven't started lessons yet, and trying to get a head start before I do. I noticed I anchor my pinkie finger near the pick guard while playing. Is this a bad habit I need to unlearn asap, or is it something others do also?

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I don't anchor my picking hand at all. I find it too restricting.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member

Yeah, I don't think acnhoring the picking hand is a good idea. Especially if you want to play metal, because there's a lot of palm muting and tapping involved in that style.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I anchor my picking hand a lot. Sometimes I do with my pinky (most often with like fingerpicking, mostly whenever I am not using a plectrum) other times I do with my palm (either palm muting or just behind the saddle) and sometimes I dont anchor at all. All depends on what im playing. Practice all of them because they are all handy (in my opinion).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I don't anchor at all. It feels weird to have part of my hand stuck in place while the rest is moving.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Anchoring is a sign of poor technique - although if you watch the video for Patience, you'll see Slash anchoring his pinky.

Each to his own, I guess; but you just cannot anchor when you play fingerstyle.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote