Clear all

Pinky

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@crazyistheforecast)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My first three fingers are callused but my pinky isn't quite yet seeing as how I don't use it as often as the others. Are there any excercises you can do for pinky strength? I really ought to use my pinky more often.

"I started this gangsta poop."

-Michael Edward Dunlap

(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Scales. They force you to use your pinky. I recommend chromatic and blues scales.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

darn, i thought this thread was going to be about mice taking over the world.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

....put 3 fingers down on the first string and do 50 hammer-ons a day with your pinky. Don't play a string, hit it hard enough to sound a note and you will know you are hitting it hard enough. I do it with each finger. It helps a lot, a whole lot and also helps to help the fingers act independently. :)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Or put a slide on it. A pinky is a terrible thing to waste.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

learn the major scale up and down the neck...that will get your ears going and your pinky strong. Or find a song with a nice lick that uses your pink and just play it like crazy.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Use Middle, Ring and Pinky to make the Am shape.

Move it along one fret and then use your index for the bar across all six strings at the first fret. Then strum and run the shape up and down the neck a few hundred times.

Then do it all again for the E chord. By the finish you'll have a nice callous on the pinky (or a fair bit of blood on the fretboard, depending on how keen you are..) AND you'll have a bunch of bar chords under your belt.

This week's two for one special offer... :wink:

(This did actually work for me - and I now have the pinky callous to prove it :) )

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

String an acoustic with 12's and run scales. Trust me, you will build finger strength and callous on those fingers.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

....put 3 fingers down on the first string and do 50 hammer-ons a day with your pinky. Don't play a string, hit it hard enough to sound a note and you will know you are hitting it hard enough. I do it with each finger. It helps a lot, a whole lot and also helps to help the fingers act independently.

This seems like a great idea. Never thought of that.

Ahh, I miss Pinky and the Brain.

Brain: 'Pinky, you have the IQ of a bar of soap. No wait, I don't want to insult the soap"

Or,

Brain: 'Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking'
Pinky: 'Yeah, if Jimmy cracks corn, and no one cares, why does he keep doing it?!'

:lol: Good childhood memories.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@sweatsavesblood)
Eminent Member

Or put a slide on it. A pinky is a terrible thing to waste.

Spoken like a bluesman. :wink:

- mdr
"And under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me" - orwell

ReplyQuote