Clear all

Plastic covering on new guitar

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I got thsi new guitar for xmas and it had a plastic cover over the pickguard and I peeled it off btu it got stuck around the screws and tone controls, I managed to get rid of the stuff around the screws, but any ideas on how to remove the stuff from the tone controls?

thx

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5328/guitarsig6bw.gif

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You could either take the knobs off and see if that will work or just leave it to work its own way off.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok thx...any idea on how to get the knobs off??

ReplyQuote
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member

Pull.

Seriously, it'll take some working, but you can just pull them straight off.

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

ReplyQuote
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

really??? U Sure they won't just break off...cos I want to put them back of after

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

An almost foolproof way to get the knobs off a guitar without harming anything is to slide the edge of a t-shirt underneath the knob, sort of wrap it around, and the just pull up steadily and firmly. Here are some how-to photos, shot just now for your instructional pleasure (please excuse the dirty carpet - had a leather dye accident in that area) :D

Slide the t-shirt hem underneath the edge of the knob.

Wrap the whole hem as far underneath as you can.

Give the shirt a bit of a twist to provide some "grab."

Grasp the twist as close to the knob as you can to minimize slippage.

PULL! :)

Hope that's helpful!

ReplyQuote
(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

Cautionary Note:

This method is only applicable to knobs with NO screwhole at the side. If there is one, you will need to loosen the screw and the knob will pull off without the need for cloths, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

Cautionary Note:

This method is only applicable to knobs with NO screwhole at the side. If there is one, you will need to loosen the screw and the knob will pull off without the need for cloths, etc.

Good call!

Some knobs will have a 'set screw,' and you will need a small size Allen (hex) wrench to loosen them. After loosening said set screw, the knob should simply pull free with no extra effort.

Thanks for bringing that up, lederhoden! :)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

My opinion would be to just leave things the way they are. That protective film should wear off after awhile. There is a chance if not done properly that you could damage the inside of the Potentiometer. Especially if there is a hidden set screw that holds the knob in place to the Potentiometer. Some do have set screws and some don't. When in doubt double check.

Joe

ReplyQuote