Clear all

Playing an A... one finger or three

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Do those of you that play an A using one finger still let that high E string ring out? I play it both ways and depending on the chord I'm coming from or going to I use one finger to hit all three strings but when i do I find that bottom E string is dead (not being fully pressed and also not ringing free). If I play the A (I'm excluding the Barre A for the moment) using my little, ring and middle finger it sounds cleaner. I see many people using the one finger method... have they perfected the "press" to not hit the lower E string or if it is dead is the chord still "OK"?

Thanks.

(@Anonymous)

I do it with the index finget only but it'a actually an A6 chord and not the A. If you practice you can just miss the E string when you strum...but I think I am going to learn the "normal" chord formation as well...just in case!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i still play the open A chord useing only my middle or ring finger depending on what progression it's in. i never have a problem with muting the high E
practice is all it takes :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

i still play the open A chord useing only my middle or ring finger depending on what progression it's in. i never have a problem with muting the high E

How do you barre with your middle or ring finger? I NEVER could figure that out.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I play the A chord (most of the time) using my index and middle finger to press all three strings leaving the high e open. I learned on a guitar with a smaller neck width and it was the only way comfortable.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I use 3 fingers. Can't do it any other way. Now it is just reflexive.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I play the A chord (most of the time) using my index and middle finger to press all three strings leaving the high e open. I learned on a guitar with a smaller neck width and it was the only way comfortable.
Ditto- and it works great for me. If I need a sus 4 I add my pinky, sus 2 slide my finger over just slightly, A7 spread those 2 fingers apart :D

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

For the open A chord I use three fingers on my acoustic and the ring finger only with the electric and still ring the high E when using just the ring finger.

For "A" form barre chords I just use the ring finger for both guitars.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I use two finger when i play an a chord, my index and middle finger but i get all three and still get a clear sound

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

How do you barre with your middle or ring finger? I NEVER could figure that out.

Thanks

Example 2
http://www.marshallamps.com/resources/lessons_online/lesson_10.asp

a nice pic of your standard A shape barre chord illustrates the use of the ring finger to fret the three notes. i usually use my miiddle finger when playing the open A but after reading a thread on this subject earlier i forced myself to practice it and found i could do it cleanly with all 4 fingers.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I barre too.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote