Playing Standing (I'm a shocker !)

26 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Mike,

I like to do that also. Plus I don't like just standing for long periods of time.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

In an orchestra, only the conductor stands. Oh and the drummer (tympanist) - go figure.

I studied percussion in college, and I sometimes sit in on tympani with a community orchestra. Tympanists CAN sit - in fact, it makes it easier if you're using tunable kettles, because you can use both feet to adjust pitch. You just need a stool at a comfortable height.

The other percussion has to stand, though, because there are often a dozen percussion parts, and only 3-4 percussionists - they need to be able to move from cymbal to triangle to gong, to bells, etc.

Bassists also stand in an orchestra - otherwise they won't be able to reach first position notes.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

One thing I discovered, and I use this on difficult parts of songs that I'm still learning, is I stay standing but I put my right foot up onto the seat of my chair and then rest the body of the guitar on my leg. That's kind of a compromise between sitting and standing. Being able to rest the guitar on my leg gives it some more stability.

I have this big brick type thing in my room. I stick it in front of my playing chair and put my left foot on it (I'm a righty player) to give me a more diagonal angle when playing sitting down. And when I stand I like to put my right foot up so I can keep my right knee bent and the face of my guitar angled up slightly. So overall my playing angle stays consistient wrether standing or sitting, but the height drops when standing.

There's a whole mess of dynamics in there, it's just somthing I do to stay comfy.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member

When I first started standing I had my strap tightened to wear it was almost as if i was sitting. Thatw ay there was no real differance. Then to make it more difficult every other week I would lower my guitar a little. Now I have it down at belt, and I find it pretty comfortable. Standing while playing gives you a chance to put on a better show in my opinion. Your ability to play the instrument is what really counts, but when you get reactions from the crowd from stage antics it feels awesome and you get a lot more into what your playing. Also at some shows like battle of the bands you wannna put on the best show possible because you only play one or a couple songs.

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@bundy)
Topic starter  

Thanks very much for everyone who has responded.

Everyone's comments and suggestions have given me confidence to perservere with the standing option and like all good things, I'm sure practice down this track will surely lead to better things.

Great Stuff !

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I think most people have trouble going from sitting to standing. One difference is that when your sitting it's a lot easier to look at the fret board and strings. When standing you pretty much have to play without looking at the fret board. Or maybe it's just that my belly puts the guitar in a position where "I!" can't see lol.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I think most people have trouble going from sitting to standing. One difference is that when your sitting it's a lot easier to look at the fret board and strings. When standing you pretty much have to play without looking at the fret board. Or maybe it's just that my belly puts the guitar in a position where "I!" can't see lol.

That's why I like to keep my right knee bent. I can checkout what exactly I'm doing every so often.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Use a mirror then. Its kinda fun to do that. See what youre stage antics would be when playing live (though much scaled down). 8)

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I am making the transition from sitting to standing right now also. I find it is helpful to stand in front of a mirror so I can see my fingers when I need a reference when I 'lose my spot with either hand'. When I sit I have the guitar tilted back so I can glance over to see my fret fingers when I need to take a glance for a reference point. While standing I can't see my fingers at a glance and this is due to still looking for the most comfortable position to hang the guitar for standing, so for now...the mirror helps me at times. Maybe it will help you. :?

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am just the opposite of everyone here. I am used to standing and feel I can move around much better this way. I still sit and practice sometimes but feel cramped.

Just keep practicing standing. After awhile it will feel completely natural. And you will find a position (length of strap) that is comfortable for you.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

bump

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2