Playing whole songs is really tiring!

11 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 T-72
(@t-72)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Noticed the more I play whole songs rather than riffs/chord practice etc etc, it really takes it out of my fretting hand. This is more songs with a lot of strumming of power or barre chords, easy songs but I really struggle on occasions getting to the end.

Is this normal, or is it possible I am playing these incorrectly? If it is normal, presumably the hand will gain strength with time.

(@strife)
Eminent Member

The same thing happens to me. i notice that the more you play the song the more you hand get used to the feeling and position of the song and eventually i can play threw the whole thing. The more i practice with the song the less tiring and the easier it is is to play.

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

practicepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepractice

practice makes perfect

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Yep, sounds pretty normal. Odds are when practicing riffs, etc you really aren't engage in sustained playing for as long. Another thing to get used to.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

At some point, you may be able to teach your hand to press with less force. As a beginner, we have trouble getting our fingers to go where we want, and so we press harder to keep them in place.

Every once in a while, I do a specific drill where I try to play with as little force as I can without getting too much fretbuzz.

Try it, it might help your endurance.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Also make sure you are quite relaxed while playing (shoulders are down, fingers arent warped and the thumb is properly placed behind the guitar).

If your technique isnt correct, playing will require more effort than necessary.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Working on not using my thumb to press so hard really helped me overcome that. I was REALLY jamming my thumb into the neck to apply proper pressure, especially when I was playing acoustic and it was killing my hand, causing a lot of soreness in that muscle that's kind of between the thumb and first finger.

Relaxing helped, practice helped, and using the weight of my arm helped. I recommend all 3.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Try to conserve your strength also. You might be pressing to hard on chords that you don't require as much effort as, say an Fmaj. Try to pace yourself for a marathon rather than for a a sprint. If there is gas in the tank by the time you are required to hit that Barre chortd, it will be easier..

I have the same problem...with Space Oddity

:)

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Its all about building endurance.

Try to lift a weight once, not to bad eh? Try that 60 times and it'll get tiring.

Try a progression, not to bad. Now try playing that prgoression 4 times for all the verses in the song. It gets tiring.

Keep doing it, build up the endurance.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Also, try to play longer songs. I used Dylan's Hurricane to build my endurance. At first that song HURT to play, my hand would cramp every single time. After a week or so of playing that, my hand got really strong. Now I can play for about 45 minutes to an hour without cramping up.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

If your tired after playing one song, your doing something wrong. I've never been tired after just one song. My fingers where sore on my first song, but I wasn't tired. You need to focus on being relaxed. Tension will make you tired in a hurry.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote