power chord question

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

*bats off the disgusted virtuosos* :wink:

I've been playing 5 and a half months, the last 1-2 pretty regularly. I really like energy rock and hard power pop, and have been playing tabs of my favorite artists to help myself learn (I have no money...my rig consists of a $70 squier bullet into my stereo's mic input) . I can play power chords just fine, but i like to "get into the music" persay so i shake the guitar around alot and do alot of moving around, and unless I'm concentrating I'm having trouble strumming open 4th, 5th, and 6th strings. I got to where I can get the fret hand position right, just when i strum im of course hitting all over the place.

I was just hoping there was something other than "connect with only the 3 strings involved" as an answer since that can prove difficult when i really get excited.

Is there anyway to dampen the higher strings or maybe change the angle of the guitar so that I can act psychotic and not get the extra sound.

Also if the power chord is based on the A string (A, B, C, etc) I dampen the low E with my middle finger. Is this common or a decent solution to the problem?

I've been learning almost soley from tabs/internet and bootlegged concert videos bc I dont anyone in my hometown that plays and have noticed onthe videos that my fretting hand doesn't look near as pretty as theirs although it does get the job done.

Thanks

plz im a noob

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, you may need to control your strumming hand a bit and try not to hit all the strings. The other trick is to let your index finger touch the higher string lightly and mute it. I do that typically if I'm playing a 5th string root and don't want the 6th string to ring out. Both the muting and the more controlled strumming will feel slightly awkward for a while but with practice it becomes second nature.
Hope that helps a bit.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote