Clear all

Power Chords?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@fender_chick92)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,
I'm really new to playing guitar and after learning a few chords from a beginners book and a whole ton of notes i was looking for some tabs to play some of my fav. songs when i cam across "Power Chords" i was wondering what the difference is between Chords and Power Chords? :)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Usually, a chord uses at least three notes - most power chords use two. They're played like a barre chord, but only involve two fingers.

Example

E chord.....

E A D G B E
0 2 2 1 0 0 - all six stribgs are strummed.

E5 chord,,,,

E A D G B E
0 2 x x x x only the root note, and the fifth note in the scale of E - B, played by fretting the second fret of the A string - are played.....

same theory applies to an A shaped chord....

E A D G B E
x 0 2 2 2 0

A power chord.....

E A D
x 0 2

And once you've got these basic shapes mastered, it's easy to add 6ths and 7ths.....

two frets up from the 5th for the 6th.....

E A D G B E
0 2 x x x x - E5

E A D G B E
0 4 x x x x - E6

E A D G B E
0 5 x x x x - E7

and the same applies to the A shaped chord......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Power chords are simple two-note chords played on electric guitar. Unlike other chords they sound great when distorted and carry a strong feeling of 'power' typical of hard rock, heavy metal and punk guitar music. Some famous examples are "Smells like teen spirit" by Nirvana or "Smoke on the water" by Deep Purple.
A quick example would be to play string 6 fret 3 and string 5 fret5. This is G5. Technically it's a two-note 'interval' called a perfect fifth with the notes G & D. You can also double one or both of those notes with other (higher Gs and Ds).
Another feature of them is that unlike most chords they don't have a major or minor feel to them. That's because they're missing the note that produces the major or minor feeling (called the 3rd of the chord).

ReplyQuote
(@fender_chick92)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!

ReplyQuote