Clear all

power chords and you really got me

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I've been trying to play The Kinks, 'You Really got Me' with index and middle and little finger. But I'm having trouble shifting up and down the neck cleanly between F5 and G5. Any suggestions?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

(@davidhodge)

Since power chords are (usually) played on either the lower three strings (E, A and D) or the next lower group of three (A, D and G), many guitarists will play "A" shaped power chords using only two fingers instead of three. Essentially, they will do a full barre with the index finger and a partial barre with the ring finger. So if you were playing your F5 and G5 up the neck, they'd look like this:

F5
G 10th fret (ring finger)
D 10th fret (ring finger)
A 8th fret (index finger)

G5

G 12th fret (ring finger)
D 12th fret (ring finger)
A 10th fret (index finger)

One of the advantages to playing this way is that, if you're careful about the string you play, you can simply barre the tenth fret to play the F5 chord:

F5
G 10th fret (ring finger)
D 10th fret (ring finger)
A (don't play)

And then drop your ring finger into place to shift from the F5 to the G5. This sort of thing works with power chords on the lowest three strings as well but takes a little more stretching.

This is not to say that you shouldn't practice and get better at simply switching as you are currently doing (practice practice practice :wink: ) but it is a trick that many, many guitarists use in order to gain speed. And with a little distortion on the guitar, not to mention a bass player pounding out the root, almost no one would hear the difference.

Hope this helps. Great song, by the way!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

It's helping, especially the barring higher up on the neck. :D . The sound is much more controlled now.

I started with Money for Nothing, but realized I didn't have enough experience with handling distortion. 'You really got me' was a bit more realistic. It's helping.

I'm glad I found the Kinks, finally. :D

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Whilst on this topic, can I ask how one ensures only the relevant strings are struck?

I've only looked at power chords briefly (ie. the Three's a Crowd lesson here at GN), and only on the acoustic, but does one simply strike the relevant strings (eg. A, D and G) or is it more of a full-ish strum with the other strings muted ... and if muted, how would one achieve this using the power chord configuration?

EDIT: I just noticed AudioBoy's thread. I think it's asking a similar question. Nevertheless, any further advice will be gratefully accepted. ;)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Honestly, I've looked at that song several times in my book but never got around to playing it yet. If I remember right. You can play the lowest (closest to the nut) F and G but don't play the root. Since you're not playing the root (lowest note) go ahead and use your index finger to barre the 5th and 4th string at the 3rd fret for the F and the 5th fret for the G. As David said, if you're playing with others nobody will notice and you'll get a much faster slide between the two chords. Crank up the overdrive on that one and you'll sound great.

Bennett: It's tough to make sure you're only hitting the relevant strings. Lots of practice. Yet I always try to mute strings with my fretting hand when doing power chords because you're supposed to hit only 2 or 3 strings. The tip of my index finger mutes the low E string when playing say an A5 in open position. If I'm playing a low E5 I'll use my index finger and arch it slightly so the strings that are not supposed to be hit are muted.

Power chords are not full strums. Just a couple of strings. When you try it on your acoustic you won't get the “full” effect. They sound much better on an electric guitar with overdrive/distortion. Kinda hard to explain.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

All i'm doing is practicing more. I'm workin' on the same song :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Thanks Corbind. That helps a lot. 8)

I'm actually in the process of getting an electric so I'll have to give it a burl on it rather than the acoustic. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Generally it's easier to move power chords when using only two fingers than three. Still, tonight when you get to your guitar, try using only the index finger barring two strings. I bet you'll fly through it.

I don't believe there is an easy way to quickly/easily move when fretting power chords the "normal" way. Another option may be to detune your low E to D (2 frets down). That brings the notes on the low E up 2 frets so you could barre the lowest 3 strings at the 3rd fret (F5) and at the 5th fret (G5). But that may screw up other chords in the song. I'll see if I can look it up tonight.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Fortunately I had the book at work. All I see are full chord D's and C's so you can detune your low E and not mess stuff up.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Saw Ray Davies last night and he finished with 'You Really got me'.
:D :D :D :D :D

Must keep practicing!

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Saw Ray Davies last night and he finished with 'You Really got me'.
:D :D :D :D :D

Must keep practicing!Me too. Just don't take a razor blade (or knitting needles) to your speaker cone, like Dave Davies did. ("Kids, don't try this at home.") :lol:
All kinds of interesting stories found with Google about the making of that record. 8)

ReplyQuote