Clear all

Power Chords in Drop C

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

According to the lesson on this site for Drop C tuning, Eb played like this in standard tuning:

|--------
|--------
|----8--
|----8--
|----6---
|---------

But in Drop C its:

|--------
|--------
|-------
|----3---
|----3----
|----3-----

But when I put them into PowerTab, they weren't the same notes and didn't sound the same in the editor. I don't think they sounded the same on my guitar either. Mind you, I'd need more than one guitar to do a real comparison. So my question is, how are these the same?

Edit: You can ignore this. I broke down each chord into its notes to find they are the same notes. Though I think they are an octave apart.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Drop C means you drop the 6th string to a C and leave the others in standard tuning. This means that the normal powerchord shapes with the root on the fifth string still works the same way. When placing the root on the 6th string it changes. Your first tab is a Eb5 in every drop tuning you use. Your 2nd tab is a F5 is drop D and an F5 with an added 7 in drop C.

In drop C a Eb5 chord with the root on the 6th string is played like this:

x
x
x

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

According to a lesson on this site Drop C means dropping the low E string down to D then dropping all the strings down a step. Are there two meanings to Drop C?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hot darn, you're correct. Drop C is C G C F A D, as you said. In that tuning an Eb5 is played like this:

x
x
x

or

x
x
x

Sorry for the confusion!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Another question. When I play the chords, the guitar often buzzes. I'm pretty sure its how I'm playing it since the guitar does not buzz when I hold down the strings and pick them seperately. But when I lay my finger across the strings then pick them, it buzzes. Any ideas on how to fix this?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Make sure you've got your finger right behind the fret and try not to pick sloppily when you play more than one string at once. Get the pick to hit the strings just like it does when you pick only one.

ReplyQuote