Skip to content
Power Chords with 3...

Notifications
Clear all

Power Chords with 3 fingers or Double barre?

16 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

How do all of you play the 3 note power chords: With 3 fingers or a double barre?

and

Here is the main riff:

Riff:1(main riff)
Eb|------------------------------------------------------------------
Bb|------------------------------------------------------------------
Gb|---9--9--7--9---12--11----9--9--7--9------------------------------
Db|---9--9--7--9---12--11----9--9--7--9------------------------------
Ab|---7--7--5--7---10--9-----7--7--5--7------------------------------
Eb|------------------------------------------------------------------

Since learning to play Paranoid I wanted to play other Sabbath songs. I am working on N.I.B. and I got the rhythm down good but moving the chords its challenging from kepping my ring and pinkie from falling off the strings. I also have some problems with double barres below the 9th fret.

Thanks

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Usually I play the root with an unbarred indexfinger and the other two with a barre, using the pinky or ringfinger, depending on if I'm going to need my pinky for anything while playing those chords. It's just easier then using three fingers for me and I'm an incredibly lazy person.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Mike, since you are only playing those three strings, I'd play with the index finger for the top note and my ring finger barre-ing the two other notes.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Very good question, Mikespe. I've only recently been playing around a bit with power chords too.

I tend to find either the double barre or index barre + ring finger and pinky methods the best for me.

I might have try the other method suggested by Arjen and "The Dali Lima" though.

Let us know how you get on.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I use no bars, just index, ring, and pinky. I find it's easier to move around that way.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Double Barre - Index & Ring

While I'm doing that, I make sure and hold my whole index finger down across all the strings just to keep my barring finger in order. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It's whatever is most comfortable for you. I like to use my index, ring, and pinky. I can play it the other way as well, but for me it takes more strength and effort to play the barre. I try to make everything as easy as possible for myself. I find I can move this form much easier as well. But that might not be true for you.

I had a friend with large hands. He would barre with his pinky. This was effortless for him.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I had a friend with large hands. He would barre with his pinky. This was effortless for him.

I don't have "large" hands but, I consider using your pinky (as a barre) as an "under reach". It's very constricting.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member

I don't know if anyone has said this already (I didn't take the time to read) But for the 3 note powerchords, Do it as if you were doing a B chord. That works best for me...
And again, sorry if someone said that already...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I agree with AudioBoy, and a think afew other said it too;

I allways make sure that I'm barring all of the strings so as to keep my barring finger in order. When i was having trouble doing barres on my acoustic guitar, I found that playing loads of fully barred electric powerchord songs helped to strengthen my finger up.

Also, (and this is purely on the 'for show' side of things) playing full chords just looks better IMO.

At the end lof the day, do what works for you. Each type of forming has its own benifits!

Pete

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I usually use just a two finger barre with either my index and ring or pinky (usually ring) but I will on occasion use three fingers.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi mike

I've just started with power chords. I'm trying to play some songs that i know well with power chords instead of open chords...the result in some case it's amusing (think about Rain, a beatiful piano ballad by Uriah Heep played with power chords becomes aggressive!)

Anyway I've only played them with three fingers..I have a bit of trouble with 5th string p.c. while i'm more confident with 6th strings one. What I did not understand about the double barre is how many strings you're barring with each finger...

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

I use three fingers. It just seems to fall into place easier that way for me. The other way might actually be faster though. I just tried it out and I imagine if I practiced that way more it could be quicker.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if you can, be able to do both.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

It appears I am not the only one with this question...Over at Guitar Lodge someone had the same question and of course he got many answers. A good discussion though!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2