Clear all

power chords

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I've been struggling with this for a while now.....I can play quite a few songs now that consists of simple power chords....usually it goes good, but at times my fingers just seem dead and can't quite finger the chords correctly and i end up with a muzzled dead sound....either my fingers started coming together or they landed incorrectly on the fretboard....anyways what i was wondering about is, when fingering power chords such as

e|----------------------------------------------
A|----------------------------------------------
D|--------------------7--7--7-----5---5--5--5---
G|--2-----5--5--5-----7--7--7-----5---5--5--5---
B|--2-----5--5--5-----5--5--5-----3---3--3--3---
E|--0-----3--3--3-------------------------------

my fingers are naturally 2 frets apart...I lay my index finger down to cover the third fret on the E,B,&G then my ring finger to cover the 5th fret on the same three strings.....is this how is it done....or are there alternatives......my friend once showed me how he adds his pinky to his ring finger for better support....is this reccomended

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I do it with the two barres. With the Index and Ring fingers.

ReplyQuote
(@worgan)

Yeah two finger barring is best

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

BlazedPhool

Using a full barre with your index finger and mini-barre with your ring finger is probably best, but do what is most comfortable for you.

When playing a power chord on the 4th, 5th, and 6th strings, I use my index, ring and pinky.

e-------------
b-------------
g-------------
d----5p------
a----5r-------
e----3i-------

When playing a "barred A" type chord I use my index on the 5th string, ring on the 4th string, and pinky to barre the 3rd, and 2nd string.

e-----------
b---7p-----
g---7p-----
d---7r-----
a---5i------
e-----------

Now, nobody would tell you this is the proper way to do it, but this is how I do it, and the way I like best. Been doing it over 30 years, ain't about to change now.

I can easily barre the normal way, and do so if I want to free up my pinky to play a sus4 chord.

Try to do it the traditional way. But if there is another way that is far easier for you, use that. Whatever helps you play well is what's important.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks alot....i'll attempt using the pinky and see how it workd out....if it doesnt turn out too good i'll just keep practicing using the index and ring

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

ReplyQuote