Clear all

POWER! i need power

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@musroc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

a friend of mine plays metal , heavy distortion ........ and he uses powers chords most of the time and i get a really good feeling when he plays power chords...... .. i 'd really like to learn power chords...... i have searched over different places and found some helpful hints and the way to finger the power chords...... i can play barre chords easily..... without any problems so that isn't an issue. I wanted to know......
1. I play the root note wit my first finger , barre.... and the 5th notes..... with my ring and pinky....... is this alright ? or should i use two fingers instead of one.... ?

2. my noticed how my friend could produce a heavy metal sound with mute and good strumming..... can someone recommend me some good strumming patterns ? i couldn't find any over the internet.. i can move with different power chords with some ease but i cant get any strumming patterns which could sound well on power chords ... any suggestions ?

3. what is palm muting ? how do i do it ? i know i can mute with simply letting my left hand loose on the bare chord but palm muting seems to help a lot when playing power chords but how do i play it ?

4. Although , lead playing sounds cool...... the power chord with distortion gives me a different feeling abt music and it really pumps me up .. :) ...... any suggestions to be a good player ?

thanks all .....

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I tend to play power chords with my index on the root and then I barre with the ring finger. This leave my pinkie free to boogie on a shuffle. David explains this technique well in his lesson on Roll Over, Beethoven.

For palm muting, rest the ridge of the palm very lightly against the strings down by the bridge and play.

Hope that helps.

And welcome to the asylum for the musically insane!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Hi and Welcome.

I tend to use whatever fingers I need to, to create whatever sound or voicing I need and being able to move to what I'll be playing before and after. Everyone has their own way or style of playing. I just play to what it is I hear in my mind and let my guitar do the talking. Same goes for damping or muting it is a very useful technique and be utilized for creating very unique voicings.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@musroc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks..ive been looking into some palm muting, etc........ pretty neat stuff over the internet :).. .......... so when i place my palm over the bridge, its suppose to mute the last 3 strings and leave me with the top 3 .... and thats abt it has to it ??
and i dont know any strumming patterns :roll:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Sort of.

It's not really supposed to mute, to do what you're trying to do. Its supposed to slightly dampen the sound of any string that you want dampend. For the power chords, usually the 4 lower strings are the ones you will want to dampen slightly.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@musroc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

yes, the sound seems to be "flatter" or heavier than without using the palm mute.. pretty cool ..... ....... strumming with palm muting seems to be a pain ..... any tips ?

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Practice

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@musroc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Practice

oyeee...thanks...... anyway , u guys have any strumming patterns for that heavy rock sound ?

ReplyQuote