Notifications
Clear all

practicing

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@phatfingers)
Topic starter  

Hi me again. Im still having trouble getting a clean chord althoug i have improved ever so slightly. in my group class the "instructor" always tells us to keep strumming even if we don't find the chord. when I practice, I don't actually practice the songs we learn but rather I practice trying to strum a clean chord. I do this for two reasons: one, the songs we learn are crummy and I hate them and two, I don't see the point in trying to play "he's got the whole world in his hands" all the way through with out being able to fret well.

Am I doing the right thing?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You need to develop both hands to be able to play.

In a class setting, the instructor has to stress the right hand placement - if he doesn't, everyone loses the beat (it'll be a lot less distracting to have some guitars doing bad sounding chords as long as everyone is playing at the same time)

You're probably doing that tune in G? So it's stressing the change from G to D7? Work on getting those chords clean on your own, and then work at changing chords in tempo. The class time will help develop your strumming hand.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote