Notifications
Clear all

Problem tuning a string

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@idontknow)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to learn it's all over now baby blue at the moment from this article: http://www.guitaretab.com/d/dylan-bob/5749.html

It says to tune the top E string to C, I'm taking it thats the 6th string but when I try to tune with my electronic tuner it seems to skip from B straight to D, is this just somethig up with my tuner?

And also if your tuning to C would that be with or without the capo?

any answers would be great

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

To me that indicates you tune the low E down to C. Were you attempting to tune it up?

One possibility with your tuner could be that you don't have a strong or loud enough signal going to the tuner? I run into that occassionally when I put on a guitar and start to tune that the tuner is flaky. Then I realize the volume control is way down.

Other than that, maybe your guage of string is not correct to tune your string down that far?

Just guessing, no knowledgable babble from me, I'm afraid.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It is the LOW E string that's tuned down - tuning given is CADGBE, and he also says "(Note: be sure to strum the 6th string to keep the distinctive
droning C note going.)"

If you've got light strings on your guitar, it's going to be difficult to tune that E down to C without it flapping about - although the tabber also suggests using a capo.

Easiest way to tune it is to tune the 9th fret of the 6th string to the open A string. If you're using an electronic tuner, try and get it somewhere near; if you have flats on your tuner, press the "b" button until four flats show on the display. It should show "E" on your tuner then, when you're actually tuning to C.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I have the same problem. Even drop "D" tuning. It drives me nuts! Again, I think the problem goes back to too much string
(the E {6'th} string). Every once in a while I'll turn the turner off then it on again and for whatever reason it seems to work?

Vic - good suggestion! I'll try that!

I wonder also if tuning down to "C" will cause buzzing?

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I wonder also if tuning down to "C" will cause buzzing?

Bob Jessie

It could, but it isn't that hard to set the action again(unless your playing an acoustic).
I personally would just use a capo, a guitarist's best friend :)

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Could be that you don't have a chromatic tuner and it dosen't show "C" only the regular tuned strings EADGBe, maybe fret at 2 and tune to D.

ReplyQuote
(@idontknow)
Topic starter  

Could be that you don't have a chromatic tuner and it dosen't show "C" only the regular tuned strings EADGBe, maybe fret at 2 and tune to D.

Turned out this was the case, I feel bloddy stupid now. Thanks for all the help

ReplyQuote