Notifications
Clear all

problem with picks

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@iskateblind)
Topic starter  

well i use a thumbe pick like banjo players(i play lectric) and i was wondering if this could hurt my playing in anyway ive tried to use triangle picks but i cant get used to em i can get inbeetween the strrings good any advice?

cool sig here...

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

First of all, welcome to GN.
The problem that you're going to suffer, is that a thumb pick isn't very good for up-strokes - it's not what they were designed for. To play flat-picking efficiently, you need to be able to use alternate picking (one down-stroke, followed by one up-stroke), even jumping across strings. The thumb pick won't let you do this, effectively.
The problem with flat-picks may be that you're showing too much of it to the string - you only need to use the very end of the tip. You could try this:
http://www.styluspick.com/

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if you were playing acoutic folk or banjo a thumb pick woul;d be ok.
since you are an electric player definately learn to use a flatpick.
you know the kind; slightly round ends and a dull point.
some are thick and some are thin. try different ones.
also sizes matter. haha.
find a pick that fits your fingers.
when I started I used those ghiant sized triangles. they really were triangle shaped. dont know what I was thinking.
now I grab the four for a dollar picks at my guitar store. they're mediums.

take your time.relax. developing good picking takes time.

oh, and welcome to this great forum.
let us know how things are going.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

The problem that you're going to suffer, is that a thumb pick isn't very good for up-strokes - it's not what they were designed for. To play flat-picking efficiently, you need to be able to use alternate picking (one down-stroke, followed by one up-stroke), even jumping across strings. The thumb pick won't let you do this, effectively.

While it's true that a thumb pick won't let you do that very effectively, it's not true that this should limit you as a guitarist.

I will certainly grant that it is not the style of play that is most common today, but all down stroke picking is a perfectly viable way to play a song, and does have some advantages over alternate picking.

While alternate picking tends to allow you to play faster, playing with all down strokes allows for a more robust tone. It's actually not completely unknown to play that way in Jazz and classical circles. It's not the mainstream idea of "best" but it is out there and something you see very accomplished musicians doing.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You can grasp a thumbpick between the thumb and index finger whenever you want a "real" flatpick for alternate picking. Works well.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@iskateblind)
Topic starter  

i can like picj really good with it but with triangle ones i cant when i chord(which is not very often) i can do up and down strokes to a reguler beet like 1and2and3and4 and1and2...and so on the chording isnyt the problem its just whether or not it looks bad or whatever

another problem it it can falll of easilly with chording

p.s. lol i wont switch to triangle picks i cant get use to picking with them oh and skipping strings is the best part it easy

(insert cool sig here)______________

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

its just whether or not it looks bad or whatever

If that's your biggest concern, then you don't have any problems.

Have you tried using other shapes of flat pick, like teardrop shaped, or some of the other "interesting" shaped picks? (like this yellow one?)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@iskateblind)
Topic starter  

i havnt tried that hmm i dunno ill just keep using this it "feels" good

oh and sorry everyone im a bad typer

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

iskateblind,

I hate the big triangular flat picks, too. In my hand, they twist out of position or I tend to drop them. I kept trying different picks but couldn't find one I liked until .... I found a smaller, tear-drop shaped Fender pick while on vacation. Liked it a lot better, but couldn't find them anywhere to buy locally or even to special order through a music store.

Finally have settled on an even smaller pick, teardrop shaped, red, made by GHS strings. I was told at the store that they are "jazz" picks. I don't play jazz (yet anyway), but I really like the pick and stocked up. Haven't had the pick problem since.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I found a smaller, tear-drop shaped Fender pick while on vacation. Liked it a lot better, but couldn't find them anywhere to buy locally or even to special order through a music store.
Those sound like mandolin picks.
Or at least I have seen mandolin players using them.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I like jazz picks, one of my favorites is a Dunlop jazz pick, that I've put indents in to stop it turning. I'm currently using the Pickboy "Edge" pick, which is slightly smaller than a standard pick. Here's a link to my little collection, minus finger and thumb picks (I don't like thumb picks for upstrokes, or as a flat-pick, because the length of the "tab" forces you to show too much pick to the strings). Down on the bottom right is a pick that I made from some flattened out copper water pipe and bottom left is one from Brazilian agate - and the sharkfin in the top middle is over 40 years old and still going strong.
Picks

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@iskateblind)
Topic starter  

well you all found alternative picks . so i guess ive found mine and the pick i use is good at upstrokes and doens make that anoyying noise.

ReplyQuote