Clear all

Progression - F, C, Dm, C

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I guess this is sort of a theory question, but it seems so simplistic, I thought I'd post here in the beginner topic.

I was messing around, just practicing chord changes and such, and I happened upon the progression: F, C, Dm, C, and I thought.."hey, that sounds pleasant".

My question is...why does it sound pleasant? There must be some fundamental "theory" reason behind it. Is it because all of those chords are in the key of C.....or F? But it seems like an odd progression....what am I missing?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it's because the chords are all in the key of C (OR the key of F!)

Each key has a 'natural' chord built on every one of the scale notes. Since each scale has seven different notes, that's seven different chords. The one on the 7th note isn't used that often in popular music, but the others sure are.

In a major key, the chords on the 1st, 4th, and 5th notes will be major, and the ones on the 2nd, 3rd, and 6th will be minor.

So you could have:

Key of C: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am
Key of F: F, Gm, Am, Bb, C, Dm

It's really not an odd progression at all. Chords usually move from one to the next by fourth, fifth, or step - so the most likely chords to follow F would be Bb, C, Gm, or Dm - Dm is a special case; it's called the 'relative minor' of F, and they'll sound great together - the chords share two of their three notes..

from C, the most likely next chords would be F (the fourth chord up from there, counting C as the first), G, or Dm. Or Am, the relative minor.

and from Dm, the most likely next chords would be G, Am, Em, C, or the relative major of F.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

NoteBoat, I don't know how you do it. I'm sure you're a busy guy, but you always manage to come up with a coherent, easily-understandable answer to questions such as these.

I learn something from this forum every day....and that can't be a bad thing. Sincere thanks.

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member

Noteboat awesome.

Is there a website or book that explains this topic of chord progressions and art of songwriting in general, in greater detail - but in easy-to-understand language, like the way you write! :D

Thanks.
Mart.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Noteboat awesome.

Is there a website or book that explains this topic of chord progressions and art of songwriting in general, in greater detail - but in easy-to-understand language, like the way you write! :D

Thanks.
Mart.

Well, Noteboat's book is written very much the way Noteboat writes :)

Other than that, there are a few good books out there.

For relatively new guitarists who don't know more complex chords than open position and typical A & E bar chords try:

How to Write Songs On The Guitar

It has a very extensive and easy to understand discussion about chord progressions and offers songs to listen to as examples of those chord progressions.

For folks who need a bit of basic theory, the book
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory is a great companion book to Noteboat's book.

For more in-depth theory, but not an easy read, you can try Walter Piston's Harmony

If you really want to talk about Chord progressions on the guitar, the two books Modern Chord Progressions and Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene are top notch.

If you have a specific interest in Jazz chord progressions, or just want to explore altered chords, Johnny Smith's The Complete Johnny Smith Approach To Guitar is an excellent resource.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member

Kingpatzer - thanks for the book recommendations.

Noteboat's book is actually the next on my list, i've just bought a couple of other books, and so once funds have replenished i'm going to deplete them once more!

Mart.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

it is not a strange chord progression at all: i.e. it is used by Iron Maiden in the chorus of their slow demi-acoustic number "Journeyman" as you could check in the easy song database (well in that case it is Dm-F-G but I don't think the running order does matter)

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

More than that, it's probably among the most common chord progressions in existence:

F - C - Dm - C = I - V - vi - V

Since the vi is a substitute for the I (they share 2 out of 3 notes), it is simply a variant of the most basic progression of them all, the mother of all progressions you might say:

I - V - I - V

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Even though I feel a little ashamed at having to ask such a basic question, I sincerely appreciate everyone's input. As I said in a previous reply, I find that I learn SOMEthing every day from this forum.

I'm still working on putting all of the pieces together. I think that's what makes learning music in general, and guitar in particular, so difficult...and, at the same time, so rewarding. I can't imagine ever getting bored with it.

Sorry if this is a bit of a tangent from the topic. So it turns out I was playing Iron Maiden, without even knowing it....go figure.....I thought I HATED Iron Maiden :D

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

There's no reason to be ashamed to ask a basic question. Go ahead and ask. We've all been there and some of us still are.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote