Notifications
Clear all

Question about Chapter 3 exercise on David's Book

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@deanproxy)
Topic starter  

I'm reading Idiots Guide to Rock Guitar and I'm on chapter 3. I'm at the exercise at the end of the book "Double Stop Rock".

For anyone that has read it, I'm curious about the best way to go about playing this exercise. Do you always just bar using your index finger for each fret, or do you use multiple fingers? For instance, bar strings 3 and 4 with your index finger on the 2nd fret and then bar strings 3 and 4 with your pinky on the 5th fret?

I just can't seem to play this exercise smoothly enough. Whenever I let off the fret and move to the next position, the sound stops and there is a brief pause in the music until I fret the next "chord".

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Mini-barres (just the two strings) worked for me. In measures 5 and 6 you might consider holding a full barre on the 5th fret while you move between strings and the other frets. Or not. :lol:

I've started a blog about that book, if you're interested:
http://dbchronicle.blogspot.com/

I do suggest taking your time and really getting this lesson down before moving on. Ch. 4 is very different, more technical, but Ch. 5 dives deep into chords and power-chords, which you'll see have a few similarities to double-stops.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@deanproxy)
Topic starter  

Yeah, I ran across your blog and heard you clip where you did it. I am far away from sounding that good with this exercise.

Are you barring with just one finger, or are you using multiple fingers? For instance, at the beginning it's 2nd fret, 5th, 7th and 9th frets. Do you have your index finger barring the 2nd and your pinky barring the 5th and then move down to use your index finger on the 7th and ring finger on the 9th? Or, you're just moving your barred index finger on its own around to each fret as needed?

ReplyQuote